NowTV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
USINSPAIN
Resident

Re: NowTV

Postby USINSPAIN » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:12 am

When you say they work across 3 phases does that mean I could plug 1 downstairs next to my router and the other 1 upstairs , I thought both plugs had to be on the same ring main
Thank you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:46 am

Here in Spain houses do not have, or shouldn't have, ring mains. Ring main wiring is a very UK thing.
All Spanish wiring should be using radial circuits.
Just plug one homeplug unit into one socket and the other into another socket wherever it is in your house and it will work.
This applies whether you house is single phase or three phase.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Miro,
Going on Sid's experience the Homeplugs are a better bet to extend Networks in Spanish buildings with their use of reinforced concrete structures...bit like living in a Faraday Cage .... :D
The Wifi Extenders work OK in the Campo houses with their single brick walls.

Good to hear you're making progress with your setup.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions & advice everyone.
That's the way I'll go then (homeplugs) if the problems persist. It's probably do-able with a bit of re-organisation. Just got to make sure the cat can't get at any of the wires :mrgreen:
100% buffer free yesterday, including the soccer on BBC Sport app in HD. This morning - all good, except nothing from ITV. ("something went wrong, please try again later") Is IPTV really this fickle? I wasn't surprised when Filmon was unreliable, but it's not like internet TV is new technology. The picture quality is arguably better than I was getting through Sky satellite, but if the service is unreliable.... :think:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:03 pm

I am now connecting the NowTV box using homeplugs/ethernet cable, so it's all good, 100% buffer free....except, it's not! :crazy:

I've obviously overcome the problems of using wifi in my Faraday cage of an apartment :wink: but last night, I couldn't get anything to play on the BBC iPlayer for a couple of hours - just the annoying little circle spinning endlessly, and the occasional error message ("02100 - something went wrong" - well, duh, I can see that!). All other channels / apps were fine, so clearly a BBC issue. Anyone else notice it? Is it a Sunday issue? I always had problems on Sundays with Chromecast. (Seriously) I just find it hard to accept that internet TV can be so fickle. For crying out loud, we've got self driving cars hitting the road, but 'er indoors can't watch Call the Midwife on the iPlayer without technical glitches causing interruptions.
Do I have to adjust my expectations, or is there something wrong here?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi Miro,

"Do I have to adjust my expectations,"........can't you just download it on Monday morning, and watch Monday evening....... :?:

After all they just tell me every day is the same in Spain.....end less sun, olive trees and Rioja (there are other wine growing regions)............ 8)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:28 pm

You cannot download on a NowTV.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Miro wrote:
I've obviously overcome the problems of using wifi in my Faraday cage of an apartment :wink: but last night, I couldn't get anything to play on the BBC iPlayer for a couple of hours - just the annoying little circle spinning endlessly, and the occasional error message ("02100 - something went wrong" - well, duh, I can see that!). All other channels / apps were fine, so clearly a BBC issue. Anyone else notice it? Is it a Sunday issue? I always had problems on Sundays with Chromecast. (Seriously) I just find it hard to accept that internet TV can be so fickle. For crying out loud, we've got self driving cars hitting the road, but 'er indoors can't watch Call the Midwife on the iPlayer without technical glitches causing interruptions.
Do I have to adjust my expectations, or is there something wrong here?
I think you do have something wrong somewhere in your set up. From MY personal point of view, using the NOWTV box connected by WIFI via Movistar (consistent 8-9 mb d/l) experience very little buffering ever. In answer to your is it a Sunday thing? Not for me it isn't, watched BBC all evening last night...Country file... Call Midwife...The Night Manager and more with not a single buffer. Even with OH streaming a Netflix film in another room, also without problem. Maybe worth doing a ping test as opposed to a speed and seeing what results you get especially at peak times...whether you get an A B or worse

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:05 pm

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Miro,
You need Java running to show packet loss.

Seems odd that only BBC iPlayer is having the problem.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:27 pm

You really need to complete all three ie the packet loss as anything above 0% will have a bearing. But the other 2 readings look totally fine in my experience, I get very similar. Maybe run this test every hour this evening and see how they compare to one and other. Also run whilst you have a buffering situation if possible.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Not sure why the packet loss test doesn't work (I have Java), but tested it separately following instructions here: http://www.techfleece.com/2011/03/10/ho ... onnection/ with a result of 0% loss :thumbup:

It's not a regular thing with BBC - it was just last night, but did seem strange because all other apps etc. were fine at the same time.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Just been down our local overheard one of the iptv guys on the phone to a client of his with problems, seems that some of his clients with Orange F.O. have buffering similar to yours. Apparently the issue is with certain ports not being opened by the isp?
Don't know if it will help but thought I would throw it into the ring if anyone else can shed light on it for you as I have no idea what it means.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:26 pm

Interesting to know. However, much as I am unimpressed with Orange overall (I did call them last week and ask for an engineer to contact me, but nobody ever called back), since all other channels have been working perfectly, it doesn't seem likely this particular issue has anything to do with them, which is why I asked if anyone else ever experiences any problems with BBC iPlayer, or other channels for that matter.
I did discover something curious last night though. I rewound a BBC program I was watching (on catch-up) a couple of minutes, and on resuming, the picture and sound continued from the point I had rewound to, but the picture was greyed over a bit (still visible) and the buffer circle appeared. I noticed the timeline along the bottom of the screen also no longer advanced (as if the program was paused - which it wasn't!) I'm thinking perhaps the rewind / ff function on the iPlayer app has a glitch, and maybe that's what caused my problems on Sunday evening. I'll experiment some more to see if I can recreate the issue.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:25 pm

We use the NOW TV box on a daily basis, our regular mischief maker is BBC iPlayer. When it is working it is great but when it decides to have a mischief night it can become unwatchable. However switching to Now TV and everything works OK.
Gerry

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 pm

The only other bit of advice i can offer is when you get these problems, turn off both routers for 20 seconds and reboot.

If this doesn't work, it might just mean the the Iplayer is experiencing high levels of traffic.

Plex is another way of watching the the Iplayer on Now tv. It also offers higher quality pictures.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Don't forget to read reauthorise your DNS when you reboot the router as your IP address will change.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:49 pm

Nothing to do with rewinding or fast forwarding, then. iPlayer just packed up again in the middle of a program, and nothing will play on it at the moment. All other channels fine :evil:
The wind and rain never caused as much trouble with a huge dish as this blasted internet TV. Can't believe they have the cheek to suggest that people are using a loophole to watch iPlayer without a TV licence.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:56 pm

IPlayer on my TV works fine most of the time, but occasionally it crashes. Just doing a return sometimes sorts it, but often I need to exit and restart. Luckily it give you the option to resume where you left off.

I have heard reports of other users on other devices having similar problems. I think it is an iPlayer problem rather than any connection or speed problems. The apps get updated regularly so hopefully the problem will go away.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 pm

If its any consolation, here in UK with a rooftop aerial & built-in freeview TV, when the wind blows, some channels (inc BBC1 !) break up so badly they are unwatchable :thumbdown:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)