I hate computers

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

I hate computers

Postby Mariacristina » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:36 pm

My computer and I are both feeling suicidal. I switch it on and it takes five minutes to respond . . . . and two minutes after that it tells me there is an error and it needs to shut down and restart. Tells me I need to look online for more information . . . but I can't stay online long enough to do that. I am a technical dimwit . . . . what do I do? The blasted machine is a Samsung laptop less than two years old and set up in English. I live in a village out in the sticks and don't have a car so am contemplating throwing it, and myself, into the river. By the way . . . Happy Christmas to everybody.

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: I hate computers

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Which version of Windoze are you using? XP, W7, W8, W10?

And what is the error message that appears? Usually that gives some clues as to what the problem is? (best to take a photo of it, rather than try to memorize it!)

Have you started it up in "safe mode", and does it work OK then? (if not then an Windoze or hardware issue? If it does work fine, then it may be a driver issue?)
Have you done a antivius an malware scan?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi Mariacristina,
Have you lost my number to the "support" line............. :?: any time any place you only have to ring.... :D

As per satandpcguy...........post the error message.....you still running Windows 7 on that system.... :?:

I'll PM my hot line number ........... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm

If you can boot it up in safemode with networking, download teamviewer and maybe I or some on the forum can give you some help by taking a look at it remotely for you.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi grumpfish,
Thanks for the offer.......... :D

I'm doing a house call this evening .......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Mariacristina,
Have you lost my number to the "support" line............. :?: any time any place you only have to ring.... :D
Fire it over here too mate, might need it on Christmas day if I get any elektrickery pressies :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Enrique wrote: I'm doing a house call this evening .......... :D
Great and good luck :thumbup:

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:19 pm

Thank you very much to the kind people who responded in my hour of need. Enrique once again climbed onto his galloping white charger and came over the mountain to help me. He deserves extra gold stars for not once telling me what a complete nitwit I am for not being able to answer most of his questions. I am usually pretty good with paperwork but even I can't explain why my password for Skype in under "W" in my address book.

. . . . so Enrique took the problem home with him and looked after it in his Intensive Care ward for a couple of days, sending me regular messages to let me know that I did not need to call in a priest to administer the last rites to it.. . . . .

. . . . . and then he brought it home and settled it in and gave me a lesson on how to use it more efficiently . . . . .

. . . . . . . AND NOW IT IS BETTER AND WORKS FINE AND ENRIQUE IS A FANTASTIC MAN WITH THE PATIENCE OF A SAINT AND WE ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE HIM . . . . . . . AND MRS. ENRIQUE DESERVES A THANK YOU FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME ON THE PHONE.

MANY MANY THANKS . . . . . AND HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:13 am

Mariacristina: Good to hear that you are back on line ... safe and sound ... and yes Enrique is most certainly a Knight in Shining Armour!