Where to Put The Dead Bodies?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
concorde
Resident

Re: Where to Put The Dead Bodies?

Postby concorde » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Update on a ditherer :clap:
Bought the Samsung 1tb external drive.
Plugged it in and my Mac and time machine did the rest.
First back up took about 20mins as I haven't really that much on my machine.

However after doing more research for hours, there are some things I'd like to ask your opinion on.
Firstly, I might only use my iMac every other day for doing banking, office work etc. I then use the sleep mode, I also like to reboot or switch off once a week or obviously when there is an update.

I am slightly worried about the affect this will have on the external drive, most posts, advice on forums say sometimes this can cause problems. I know you have to eject the drive properly before you disconnect it or that can be a problem but as it is very unlikely I will be moving it that is not a worry.

It does seem to sleep when the Time Machine is not backing up every hour.

So, do I leave the time Machine/drive on permanently, or switch the TM off and disconnect the drive and back up manually if and when I need it.?

Most advice and answers on various techie forums seem to come from professionals/heavy users who never switch anything off, ever!

P.s. Enrique, my Vista downloaded updates today! You genius, you :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Where to Put The Dead Bodies?

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Just leave it connected all the time, it will look after itself. It's a great backup solution.

I have never disconnected mine and when it gets full, it just deletes the oldest files.

Sid