Getting Iplayer etc onto an Amazon Fire stick

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Getting Iplayer etc onto an Amazon Fire stick

Postby markwilding » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 pm

A lot of posters are sending me private message on how to get the UK apps working on a Fire stick outside Spain.

When you first start it up, it appears that you already have the App but it is the download page only and you cant download directly to the stick You need to download the App to your Fire Stick from the Amazon.co.uk website.

On your PC go to your Amazon account, then the app store, Look for the latest version of the Iplayer App and click into it.

On right of the new page click in the yellow deliver button and the App will download and appear in two places in the Firestick menu.

At the top in Recent or/and scoll down the list to Apps then in Your Apps Library
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northandsouth
Resident

Re: Getting Iplayer etc onto an Amazon Fire stick

Postby northandsouth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Yes and that applies to the Fire TV box as well, mine's going well thanks to Mark's input :thumbup:

Michaelst
Tourist

Postby Michaelst » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

I realise about the VPN - I have a very good one which I have used for some time now.

The problem is - how to use the Firetv stick in conjunction with the VPN. I believe that the stick cannot have a VPN setup on it so the fact that I have the VPN at all is in some way irrelevant though I would love to be proved wrong.

Having said that, reading your posts and others' saying they have it working OK in Spain is of some encouragement. If only I could work out how to do it!

Mike

Re: Amazon Firetv Stick

Sent: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:19 pm
To: Michaelst
Hi
You are not being a pain but I prefer the advice is in the open forum so everybody can get the information

Regarding your problem. It is not possible to view the Iplayer on the Fire stick, or any other gadget, in Spain without a VPN or Smart DNS server.

I suggest signing up for a free one week's trial with one of the DNS servers to allow you time to get the fire stick working.

I use UnblockUS but a quick Google will throw up other companies. The price is more or less the same with all of them around 3.80 Euros per month.

https://www.unblock-us.com/

Tell me how you are getting but post in the forum because I can respond much easier and other posters can use the info for future reference. I promise nobody will mind.

Regards
Mark

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:53 pm

As far as the VPN is concerned, as the Firestick is Android based, you will need to see if your VPN company have an Android app that is compatible with it.It might be possible to sideload it on as well, since some unofficial apps are compatible.

If not, the VPN would need to be installed on the router. To be able to do so,you would need one that is compatible and the change the router software, (flash it). Some posters have bought routers with the VPN software pre installed.

The general consensus on the forum seems to be to view UK TV, a Smart DNS server is better. The reasons being that they tend not to slow down the internet speed, are easy to set up and are not restricted to country but to streaming service, meaning you can watch channels from all over the world.

As I said in my message, my next step would be to try out a free trial of one of the smart DNS companies or speak to the VPN company you are using to see if they support Android and the Firestick
Good luck
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Concur with that Mark, DNS much better, in fact wasn't there something recently about BBC blocking or beginning to block VPN's?

Michaelst
Tourist

Postby Michaelst » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks lads!

Yes, I have spoken to my VPN people and they say that it is not possible to load any VPN onto a firetv stick.

I'll now look into the DNS option as I have BBC iPlayer on an Android TV box I have but it's not possible to watch any live programmes due to buffering (Funnily enough though watching anything other than live is fantastic AND in HD) possibly it's the VPN then which is slowing down my Internet Speed.

Thanks for all your input!
Mike

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Almost certainly the VPN will be throttling it. I didn't alter anything on my Fire just input the DNS using the instructions provided by the smart DNS guys into the router it's connected to and that's it.

dhasdell
Tourist

Postby dhasdell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

I've tried unsuccessfullyto get iPlayer onto my Firestick, but when I try to download it I get a message from Amazon that the app is not compatible. Amazon help responded as follows to my message:

I've thoroughly checked our website and also contacted our technical team and was informed that this App "BBC iPlayer" is not compatible with Fire TV stick due to unsupported software. I apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

I would like to inform you that the app compatibility changes based on the update pushed by the developers for the app.

I can understand how disappointing this must be for you, especially given that you must’ve been eagerly looking forward to access this app on Fire TV stick.I would feel quite the same as you if I were in your position.

We're constantly working to establish and improve these agreements so we can offer the largest selection apps possible.

Any suggestions, please?

David

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:50 pm

I suspect if you download and install the iplayer app in Spain you may need the UK ip address. A few weeks ago I looked in amazon.es and they don't sale TV firesticks possibly due to regional copyright issues. I bought the firestick when I was in the UK all the apps such as iplayer, All4 etc were easily installed including Kodi and addons: exodus, phoenix etc.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 pm

When I installed iPlayer and other UK apps on my Fire TV box last year I didn't use a VPN, just a smart DNS. I ordered them on the amazon.co.uk page and it delivered them to the Fire TV, I did however, use our UK address on my amazon uk account.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:39 pm

It looks like there are two versions of the Iplayer in the Amazon app store. In another thread there is mention of one which can playback 4K which was released 21 Feb 2017 and anther which came out 21 Dec 2016 and it's the older one that's needed.

dhasdell
Tourist

Postby dhasdell » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 am

Thank you for the replies. My Firestick was bought in the UK, and I have been able to install Kodi and Exodus without any bother. What should I go for next to help me watch UK channels?

Following Mark's link above, I was able to install iPlayer, but cannot run any actual programmes. I always get a message that "Something went wrong loading the programme". I am able to use iPlayer on my PC and cast programmes to my TV, but I should like to be able to use the TV/Firestick combination direct.

David

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 am

Are you using a VPN or smart DNS server?

dhasdell
Tourist

Postby dhasdell » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:59 am

I am using Cactus which I think is smart DNS.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 am

If it is Cactus DNS where have you applied their DNS address numbers? Directly to Router? Or individual devices?

dhasdell
Tourist

Postby dhasdell » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 pm

The PC, but I can't remember how. Can I do it to the router, then, and bypass the PC so it goes straight to the firestick?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:16 pm

In theory yes, but depends on your Router/supplier etc then all your devices will benefit from the Smart DNS. You'll need to enter your routers setting and change the DNS there if possible. If it's Movistar router its very simple. But google your router model or read the manual if you have it.
If that fails just change the DNS directly on your Firestick

https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how ... -tv-stick/
Last edited by firsttango on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Have you tried putting the DNS settings directly into the firestick ?
Go to settings
Select Systems
Select WI-FI
Select your WI-FI network and forget WI-FI network by Pressing the button with 3 lines on it.
Press the select button.
Select your WI-FI network.
Enter your WI-FI password and Click on advanced 
Enter the first three groups of numbers exactly the same as the IP address of your router. As an example, if your router IP is 192.168.0.1, then use the IP address 192.168.0.7 or something to that nature. The important part is to change the last digit so you get an IP from the same IP range as the router. 
For the Default gateway enter the IP of your router
Input 24 for the Network Prefix Length and Click Next 
Enter cactus dns for DNS 1
Enter cactus dns for DNS 2

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Remember to VALIDATE as per First Tango link.......easy to follow with clear illustrations, I recently did something very similar, made what when written a minefield an easy step by step guide, even a dumb ludite like myself could sort out.