PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS 7

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS 7

Postby patricia » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:33 am

I have just returned from the UK and turned on my computer and it now says that the windows 7 that I am using is not legal and despite my typing in the product number which came with the computer when I first purchased a HP it does not recognise it and my screen is now black!!

I think possibly Michrosoft want me to update to Windows 10 but I do not want to.

Is there anything I can do apart from changing to Windows 10!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS 7

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Depending on where you bought the computer from, the Win 7 package pre-installed on it might not have been kosher.

Must be possible to check with Microsoft on this. Sure that someone will advise.
Chris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi patricia,

MS doesn't make your Windows 7 non genuine to make you upgrade to Windows 10.

Depending on where you bought your Laptop the "retailer" could have used a hacked license and MS have updated their License DB and flagged up that License even though you have used it for some time.......has happened to me some years ago....... :oops: got caught :problem:

If above doesn't apply then a setting has got corrupted and your easiest way forward is to get on the phone to MS, and get it sorted.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

In the past a patch has caused the above to happen , I've not seen anything so far after the last Patch Tuesday.

You could look and see what updates have been done recently.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:07 pm

^^^ Wot Enrique said.

I've needed to phone Microsoft on a couple of occasions when reinstalling Windows after unsuccessful activation attempts. I found them very helpful and once I explained that I'd just changed a system component (disk drive, etc.) they gave me a new activation key without any questions. Assuming that you believe your license key to be genuine I would call them and hopefully they'll sort out out with minimum fuss.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Can I just ask a non-techy question? If my laptop cannot be fixed and I buy a new one, can I use my back-up with its System Image to simply install my previous Windows 10 and all the other installed software, or have I got a long and tricky road to get back to where I was? Or would it be possible to install my old hard drive into the new machine (and are they all compatible)?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi peteroldracer,
Probably a lot of NO's to those questions........

Your current (dead) system will have different drivers.

Your new system will only be missing your must have programs/Apps so will be easy to get up to speed.

You can remove the HDD from the dead system and use it in an External caddy/enclosure to get non-system stuff off , assuming the drive is OK and its a MOBO problem.

NB: not all disk enclosures are created equal......if your current HDD in your dead system is over 2TB (very unlikely) Then a Hi-speed enclosure capable of handling >2TB will be required.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:07 pm

I think that probably is the case. I have gone into the product area and have seen the number but it will not let me reactivate so it probably is a fake. I bought the computer from a chap who put it together for me! I have tried using my old HP number but that hasnt worked.

Can I download it for free or will I have to resort to windows 10! :thumbdown: and perhaps download the easy version like Gerry! (or whatever it is called) I would prefer to remain with windows 7 but if I cannot I shall have to get over it.

You loss your games with windows 10 which is another downside Ugh such decisions to make.

Thank you for that Enrique. I cannot get a local number to ring, but I may try that first if I can find a number to ring.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi patricia,
Your first paragraph sums it up.......I got the T-Shirt too.......... :evil:

I did some research into the Retailer and found out it was a dodgy enterprise.......... :twisted:

I went straight to MS direct and bought a License. This will enable you to stay on Windows 7 (not sure if they still do this )

Maybe call MS first and say you have had some hardware changed and see if they will give you a New Key.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:25 pm

I have just 'upgraded' to Windows 7 from Home Vista so I can't see any reason why you cannot install it now. My old PC tower was also built for me (that computer man has now retired) so is not an off-the-peg make and my new computer man was reluctant to go poking around inside it to upgrade any components as it is so old now. I will keep Windows 7 until that stops being supported - possibly about 4 years, then will have to buy a new PC.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:33 pm

I will do that then Wicksy. Thanks for that :wave:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi patricia,
Your first paragraph sums it up.......I got the T-Shirt too.......... :evil:

I did some research into the Retailer and found out it was a dodgy enterprise.......... :twisted:

I went straight to MS direct and bought a License. This will enable you to stay on Windows 7 (not sure if they still do this )

Maybe call MS first and say you have had some hardware changed and see if they will give you a New Key.
No the chap I uses has a legit computer shop in Torrox, so he should not be dodgy at all, but if I cannot activate it I can only presume that is the problem. I could go along and ask him what is the problem. I will try Wicksy´s remedy first.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi patricia,
I don't understand Wicksey's remedy ............ :(

As you're local to the Guy who sold you the system take it back and get him to sort it.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Yes I could do that, take it along to him to get him to fix it for me. Good suggestion :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:26 pm

You are right, you have to have been using Home Vista to upgrade to windows 7 and it doesn't preserve your files etc, so that is no help. No I will take it back to the shop.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:58 am

Enrique wrote:Hi patricia,
I don't understand Wicksey's remedy ............ :(

As you're local to the Guy who sold you the system take it back and get him to sort it.
What I was referring to was that Patricia wondered if you can now only install Windows 10 now, but as I said I have just had Windows 7 installed so there's nothing to stop that being re-installed if necessary. But I would also recommend taking it back to the computer shop as he was the one who originally set it up.

I also have had something installed that blocks the constant 'update to Windows 10' messages which Microsoft keeps pushing.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:04 pm

I have just been along there and he is shut again so will have to give him a ring.

I have tried to reinstall windows 7 but there is not an option for re-installing it unless you pay for it! However I shall contact Aga by phone and see what he says!

Thanks for everyones input :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Well I have just spoken to him on the phone and he is going to fix it for me! :thumbup:

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:35 pm

That's good to hear Patricia. Might be a good idea to ask him to write down the Win 7 license key for you, in case you run into problems again in the future.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:40 pm

Terry Tibbs wrote:That's good to hear Patricia. Might be a good idea to ask him to write down the Win 7 license key for you, in case you run into problems again in the future.
I think probably it is a counterfeit copy because the license key is there when I go into computer etc., but it has no affect when I put in the number!

However I shall ask him tomorrow but I might not get an answer! :wink:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi patricia,

Other questions you need to get answers to from your Guy..........

If you haven't got the Windows installation disk that might have come with the system, ask if there is a Windows Recovery partition on your disk and how to get to it, write the procedure down.

If you have no disk and no recovery partition the Guy is probably suspect. Either that or a bad system installer.