Which Internet Service ?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Which Internet Service ?

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:00 pm

My daughter has finally found a house to rent but it is on Tomango Hill near Nerja on the bordere of Torrox, the house which is a terraced in the middle of 9 other properties lies between two hills and they have been told by an internet provider friend that they cannot get satellite internet as they are too low down to pick up the signal.

What are the options and what sort of price would it cost ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Which Internet Service ?

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Are you sure you mean satellite Internet? Why can't they use the normal telephone line for ADSL? Satellite is usually the last resort where other systems fail.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Dunflittin68 wrote: ....they cannot get satellite internet as they are too low down to pick up the signal.
As long as they have a clear view of the sky at about 10 deg east of south and a few degrees above horizontal, then they can use satellite internet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Sid, they don't have a telephone and they are not sure if the neighbours do either, out of 10 houses they believe there are only about 2 or 3 others besides them that are lived in.

Gerry - sounds a bit technical for me but I will make sure to tell them :wink:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:58 pm

In which case try these people. Friends a mile up the road to Torrox use them.

http://www.axartel.es/en/

It's a WiFi system and reasonably cheap.

Alternatively, if you can get a decent mobile phone signal there are a number of options.

Sid

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks Sid, will pass on the details. :)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Don't confuse satellite with Wireless. We have a small aerial that points at a base station on top of a nearby hill, and this works most of the time.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:50 pm

Just had a quick look on Google maps, street view, at the Tomango Hill area.
I find it extremely hard to believe that satellite internet would not be available there.
As Peter has said is someone getting confused between satellite and wireless internet? They both use a dish for reception but they are entirely different in the way they work.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Gerry, it could be me, as I said I am not technical but a friend of theirs who has his own reception towers for their dish to pick up the signal dotted around the Torrox area said he didn't have one there close enough to Tomango Hill for them to pick up the signal and so couldn't help them with the installation of Internet etc. Another internet friend said he might have been able to install a tower there if there was the demand to justify the cost but I don't think there is.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:21 am

4G is worth investigating too, I get a solid 4G signal on my phone all along the coast road.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:41 am

Dunflittin68 wrote: Another internet friend said he might have been able to install a tower there if there was the demand to justify the cost but I don't think there is.
Definitive sounds like a wireless (Wimax) system. These systems need a clear line of site to the transmitter.
Why doesn't your daughter ask the neighbours and other e on the development as to how they get their internet? Looking at a site for holiday rentals in that area all the ones I've looked at advertise an internet connection is provided.
As Lyric has said a 4G or even 3G system, depending on what your daughter wants an internet connection for might be the way to go.
Need someone with a smartphone to check the signal strength at the house. Also need to be aware that there are only three network providers of 3g/4G. Vodafone, Orange and Movistar. They don't all have good coverage everywhere.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 pm

4G in a rural area in between hills usually means 3G here in Spain regardless which ISP. Satellite is probably the only option unless you can get a permit to build a tall antenna (I wouldn't even bother to ask).

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:33 pm

The clue here was 'Tamango Hills' tends not to be a valley location.

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:22 pm

I cannot recommend Axartel at all. I've never used them but I did use a company called Anda Networks, who I had a problem(s) with previously, that Axartel bought.

EDITED If you haven't used them, then your opinion of them is not valid. Your comments about personell previously working with Anda are potentially libellous so I have deleted them.

Sid