Uk TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jogger
Resident

Uk TV

Postby jogger » Mon May 02, 2016 11:41 am

What is the best and simplest route to go down to get UK TV when I move to Spain please?
I'm not too bad with gadget stuff but not brilliant either.
Cheers
Roy

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Uk TV

Postby gerryh » Mon May 02, 2016 12:17 pm

Depends on what UK TV channels you want to watch.
If you only want BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4 CBBC, Cbebbies, BBC News, Parliament, ITV1 and Channel 4 then reception via Intelsat 907 is possibly the best.
Is available anywhere, providing you can mount a satellite dish with a clear view of the sky in a 27.5 deg West direction, in Spain. Once of cost of around €200-300.
For any other channels then you will need either TV via the internet with variable ongoing monthly costs and dependant on the internet signal you can get where you live.
Or if you are living on an urbanisation then they might already have a system installed that you can use at a cost.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Don’t they change the codes on 907? If so its not 100% free forever.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon May 02, 2016 3:15 pm

The last time the codes where changed was Dec 2014.
The new codes where available within about an hour on the internet.
The new codes are free so no ongoing cost.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon May 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Satellite due to be retired shortly then who knows what will happen in regard to encryption on replacement, hard to believe they'll stick with BISS Codes.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 02, 2016 3:45 pm

There is no reason why anything would change if and when the satellite is replaced. The BBC etc contract for a service, it's not their satellite. If the satellite is changed it should not affect them.

Your Gmail account doesn't change when Google move to a new server, it's not really any different.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon May 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Just my opinion that seeing as BISS codes are so easily hacked and is very old technology and the U.K broadcasters are aware of the situation that there is a chance they will change the encryption used to a more secure up to date method.
Are you seriously saying Google run on one server? I think they possibly have over a million

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Of course they have more than one, but the specific one that your account is on could change and you would not have the slightest idea that it had changed.

I doubt that the BBC are worried about encryption. There are only a few thousand people who bother to use I907 and they are all expats in Southern Spain. It's peanuts compared to licence Dodgers in the UK.

The biggest risk is that they decide they don't need this backup system and junk it and that has nothing to do with any potential changes to the satellites used.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon May 02, 2016 7:50 pm

firsttango wrote:Satellite due to be retired shortly then who knows what will happen in regard to encryption on replacement, hard to believe they'll stick with BISS Codes.
I take the opinion that even if the satellite was retired tomorrow it would take, probably, a year or so before the new one is fully in service. So if they did change the encryption or the BBC decide to discontinue using the service then I will have had unlimited TV for that time for €200 or less.
I can't think of any other system that will give me unlimited TV that doesn't freeze/ buffer for
€200 a year.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon May 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Absolutely spot on Gerry, it's certainly a reliable system for the basic u.k channels, if not a bit limited where ITV is concerned. Long may it continue.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 am

I agree too. After the initial 6 months of struggling to watch TV via the internet I think the I907 was worth every cent.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Thu May 05, 2016 6:15 am

Thanks all, as I move in the next few months then I hope it is still available.

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Thu May 05, 2016 7:27 am

Seems that the poster asked the question "what is the best and simplest route to go down to get UK TV when I move to Spain" and the only option being thrown up is Intelsat 907? No mention has been made of internet TV?

I am presuming the OP will have internet (doesn't everyone?) Best thing I ever did was buy a Now TV Box (cheap as chips). Watch BBC and ITV lives and Ch4 and Ch5 on catchup. We live in the mountains and do not have a particularly reliable internet (should get 6mbps but probably get around 4) and I find the Now box brilliant. Easy to use for "her indoors" (a major consideration in selecting it), reliable and the option to subscribe (if you want) to Sky Sports, Entertainment or Movies.

I still use my laptop for such things as Showbox, CartoonHD and Popcorntime for films, so we are well catered for TV wise - there is only so much TV you can watch?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 05, 2016 7:39 am

MartinEB wrote:Seems that the poster asked the question "what is the best and simplest route to go down to get UK TV when I move to Spain" and the only option being thrown up is Intelsat 907? No mention has been made of internet TV?
I mentioned Intelsat 907 and IPTV.
I have both.
Didn't you read my reply?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Thu May 05, 2016 9:15 am

gerryh wrote:
I mentioned Intelsat 907 and IPTV.
I have both.
Didn't you read my reply?
Cheers
Gerry[/quote]

I did, but it didn't really go into detail:
gerryh wrote: For any other channels then you will need either TV via the internet with variable ongoing monthly costs and dependant on the internet signal you can get where you live.
Whereas the eight other replies are all about Intelsat 907?

Not a criticism (was it seen as that?), simply an observation in trying to help the OP?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 05, 2016 9:32 am

MartinEB wrote:
gerryh wrote:

Not a criticism (was it seen as that?), simply an observation in trying to help the OP?
OK :thumbup:
But until the OP answers my question "Depends on what UK TV channels you want to watch." it is difficult to give an answer.
If they just want to watch the channels provided by Intelsat 907 then I would suggest that that is the best and cheapest way of watching UK TV.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 am

gerryh wrote:If they just want to watch the channels provided by Intelsat 907 then I would suggest that that is the best and cheapest way of watching UK TV.
Cheers
Gerry
Yes frustrating when the OP does not come back to you on a subject you have taken the time to input on :thumbdown:

It might be the best but is it the cheapest?

200 - 300€ initial outlay for Intelsat?

If they have internet anyway (which I assume (I know, assume nothing) most expats do?) and so then that is not taking into account when working out the sums. A NOW TV box for about £20 (which gives near enough the same channels as Intelsat), with a smart DNS (about £20 @ year - but with that on your router your ipad, laptop and anything else needing wifi is covered also), you've got about 10 to 15 years of UK TV through the internet for the price of Intelsat? How long will Intelsat last? Can anyone say for sure :?:

Although having said all that, if the BBC change the access to their I Player as has been reported in the media, that could throw a spanner in the works? :thumbdown:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 05, 2016 10:19 am

You left out the ongoing cost of your internet connection.
If you want to watch a lot of TV then you need a internet connection with a high monthly download limit which can be expensive.
I should have added to my original reply to the OP it also depends on how much TV you want to watch every day.
Cheers
Just for internet usage 10Gb per month is sufficient for most people. If you watched TV as well then watching more than 1 hour a night would soon exceed your monthly limit.
Intelsat 907 is unlimited if you can put up with watching that much TV. :think:

Gerry
Gerry Harris

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Thu May 05, 2016 10:32 am

MartinEB wrote: If they have internet anyway (which I assume (I know, assume nothing) most expats do?) and so then that is not taking into account when working out the sums.
gerryh wrote:You left out the ongoing cost of your internet connection.

Didn't you read my reply Gerry :wink:

I specifically left out the cost of internet, assuming (rightly or wrongly) that most expats would have internet in any case (whether they used it for TV or not?)

Not that expensive really. We have Jetnet wimax (6Mbs), unlimited download for (just paid bill by D/D today) 35,17€ for the month (which includes telephone with 400minutes of calls Europe wide). Even if we didn't use it for TV we would still have it (we had it when we had Sat TV), so it cannot really be counted as an ongoing cost "specifically" to obtain UK TV? :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 05, 2016 10:40 am

gerryh wrote:
If you want to watch a lot of TV then you need a internet connection with a high monthly download limit which can be expensive.
But that only applies to a small percentage of users as most have a normal ADSL connection which has no download limits.

Sid