Enrique . . . need you advice . . . again!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Enrique . . . need you advice . . . again!

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 pm

I keep getting pop-ups on my computer telling me that I should upgrade to Windows 10 from my current Windows 7. I am now being warned that I must upgrade before July 29th or will have to pay (amount unspecified) to do so.

Visitors to my house have twice kindly (!) installed Windows 10 on my computer for me and on both occasions Enrique has come to my rescue to sort out the ensuing disaster. . . . so, Enrique . . . what do I do? Ignore the messages and hope that Windows 7 carries on working . . . or ?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Enrique . . . need you advice . . . again!

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Mariacristina,
Please continue to ignore the messages.

I'll get in touch later in the week to arrange a time to pop over and sort the system out.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:05 pm

Computer is working fine . . . I was concerned that support for Windows 7 would be cut if they are giving a deadline to install Windows 10. It sounded a bit ominous. Everything is working well after the last time you sorted it for me . . . including the writing app that you installed. I am actually in the process of typing up my first story in Spanish . . . I've done poetry before but this is my first story. It's about fairies (real ones) and politicians.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Hola

If you haven't already - make a backup or two

Davexf

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 am

Make a back up . . . . . how?

I'm a computer dimwit as Enrique knows to his cost. He has mounted his white charger and galloped to my rescue on more than one occasion . . . .and has refrained from battering me to death for my stupidity. I'm quite bright about some things . . . alas . . . technology is not one of them! The age of quill pens and parchment was so much simpler, even if you did have to grind your own ingredients for ink.
:crazy:

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:22 am

Hola
copy the story onto a pen drive at the end of each day. Therefore you have a copy of your days work.

Davexf

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:14 am

If you struggle with microsoft products and all the updates etc etc then maybe look into getting a chromebook.the easiest/most basic laptop to use that you can find. So glad i got rid of all the microsoft bloat