windows 10

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
wollie
Resident

windows 10

Postby wollie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:20 pm

i need to update my computer from 8.1 is there anything I need to know?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: windows 10

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi wollie,
As a precaution have a copy of files you wouldn't want to loose......could use Onedrive (Cloud) for that.... :idea:

Have 20GB Free disk space as you will be doing an Upgrade and it will save a copy of your old Win 8.1 OS......this can be removed at a later date.

Should you have any issues after the Upgrade please Post.

I did and install last week and it was a breeze..........certainly not like the early days when Windows 10 came out.......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi have a laptop on 8.1. Downloaded 10 on Wednesday. Backed up/ copied files and pics to separate external drive. All was ok. Website access fine, all saved logins and favourites working. Printer working. Thursday all good.
However Friday and today won't boot. Acer screen appears then blank screen with only the cursor. Won't go to login screen.Can't get into it to try safe mode etc.
I've googled using my iPad and not much help.says it's a bios issue?
Any help gratefully appreciated.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:11 pm

There have been loads of problems with Acer and Windows 10.

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-dri ... vista.html

Enrique will sort you out.

Sid

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks Sid
I hope Enrique can. The problem as I see it I am unable to download anything to help as I can't boot the laptop.grrrr

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi Imj56,
Please just read the following but DON't do anything as we need to have a cunning plan.........

This is where an Image backup, and a recovery disk would get you out of jail............quickly....you're going to have to dig a tunnel... :(

Did you Download the Upgrade through the Windows update or as an .ISO file and built a USB Bootable Install ........... :?:

Acer systems have a Recovery Partition, this will contain the System as it was Delivered.......8.1

To use this please read...........

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... very-media

Where is your current location........anywhere near me............. :?:

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Imj56,
Please just read the following but DON't do anything as we need to have a cunning plan.........

This is where an Image backup, and a recovery disk would get you out of jail............quickly....you're going to have to dig a tunnel... :(

Did you Download the Upgrade through the Windows update or as an .ISO file and built a USB Bootable Install ........... :?:

Acer systems have a Recovery Partition, this will contain the System as it was Delivered.......8.1

To use this please read...........

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... very-media.

Where is your current location........anywhere near me............. :?:
Hi thanks for the reply. Download was via the upgrade icon. Laptop does not have dvd in built drive. I'm in South Wales!!
I'll have a good read and get back to you.
Cheers

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:10 pm

El Cid wrote:There have been loads of problems with Acer and Windows 10.

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-dri ... vista.html

Enrique will sort you out.

Sid
Absolutely no problems on either of my Acer laptops but all my drivers where up to date before I did the upgrade or new install.
Don't think the upgrade problems where specific to Acer products. The problems where due to out of date drivers which would give a problem on Acer and other manufactures products.
I always keep my drivers up to date. I use snail driver from http://snailsuite.com/
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi guys,
My drivers were checked as up to date on Tuesday. Full virus check and windows up date too.
Enrique, had a look at the link you sent. I've done nothing yet. So choose Windows 10 as opposed to 8.1? As I've downloaded 10?
Alt f10 and I need to choose keep my files? Although I have backed up files, it's a pain to get my IT guys to sort 'out all my work websites, but not impossible.
Is this the route I should take?
Thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Imj56,
That's a better result than I expected..........sorry I was away working on the cunning plan.......
Go for the Windows 10 keep files, as that is the OS you have on the disk.

The Windows 8.1 is the recovery Partition that came with the system and would be the LAST resort.

As the system was working OK, sounds like the Boot manager got itself in a twist.

I'll monitor this Thread more closely so we can move you on............

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:16 am

Hi Imj56,
How did you get on.......... :?:

Need feed back if we're to move this on............... :idea:

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:12 am

Hi Enrique
I'm going to give it a go in a couple of hours time.
I'll keep you updated
Hopefully it will be as easy as the video link.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:39 am

Hi Imj56,
The option Windows 10 with keep files........will take you back to an early stage, before you set up printing etc.

I'll catch up later as I'm off out on the bike to look at some mountains........... :D

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:05 am

Hi
Well it's all done. Took a while and nor as per the video in the link. Eventually got to sign in screen a do would not let me type in password, so had to get around that. Printer works but won't scan, so looking into that. Thanks for you help.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi Imj56,
Good to hear you got sorted..........
The Acer Recover info was about recovering from the Recovery Partition. The Bonus we saw was it got through the initial Boot stage ie, the bit that was a problem with your Win 10 system.
Windows 10 has various new Recovery options....worth a read up.......... :idea:

Things to do with your new Win 10 system.....what I do ,so optional for you........... :angel:

1) Turn the System Restore ON......its OFF by default.
2) Go through the Settings and Turn Off all the settings. Especial What I send to MS.
3) As you're not an Image backup man make yourself a Bootable Windows 10 USB ..Took me about 3hrs yesterday

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

You can use this to Repair a Broken Win 10 system, Had you had one yesterday you could have Repaired the Boot up and been up and running very quickly with your New system as you had it on Thursday.

4) Make use of the OneDrive (cloud storage)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi wollie,
So do you feel lucky.............. :?: .........having read the above on a problem Upgrade......... :?:
Have you a Plan B should your Upgrade go pear shaped............. :?:

The one I did in the week was on an old Dell system ........."Not tested for Windows 10 " on Dell Site.
So a quick Google of ............. "Make Model Windows 10 "......... threw up a few possible Gotchas........to be aware of.
Did a Clean Install on to a New disk , no driver problems.......Client happy as a Bunny............. :D

So do a bit of research on your Computer make and model number, make yourself a Plan A and Upgrade............. :idea:

Feel free to Post/PM for any further info............ 8)

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks Enrique
Will look at the other bits of advice and make a bootable usb as you suggest. :thumbup:

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:53 am

Good Morning

I have successfully upgraded my Asus ux32a Laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Everything seems to work OK except for my Epson Scan. I have a all-in-0ne Epson Stylus DX 4800 Printer/Copier/Scanner. I have downloaded the Scanner Driver from the Epson Website and adjust campatibility from Windows XP service pack 3,Vista Service Pack 2 and even Windows 8 and nothing seems to work. I have even tried to use Epson Scan & Print form the Windows 10 store. That does not work either. My Printer works fine. Can anyone help me here. Most frustrating I can tell you. I have been looking at the support groups for my problem,but no help at all.The Scanner used to work in Windows 8.1 alright.
Thank You

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:15 am

I'm not sure if this will help but with Windows 10, I'm using the computer more like a tablet. Basically that means I'm only installing Apps I need. I don't bother with all the extra little programmes that come with printers.
Uninstall your printer drivers, reboot and plug in the printer with the usb cable and allow Windows to install them, allow Windows to find drivers online if necessary.

It's been quite a while since I've actually scanned anything using the printer scanner. These days I prefer to use my my phone to scan and send documents.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi pensure1988,
Have a read............

https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/sup ... oid=283713