Kindle Paperwhite - Books Queuing. Modem Issue?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Kindle Paperwhite - Books Queuing. Modem Issue?

Postby Granite » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:35 am

We have a Kindle Touch and an early Kindle Paperwhite. Recently the Paperwhite had a software update and now will not download books – they just queue. No problem with the Kindle Touch. I contacted Amazon, they were very helpful and sent me a refurbished Paperwhite at no cost despite the original being three years out of warranty! However I have the same problem with the replacement.

I subsequently tried to download books at an internet café. All worked fine.

So it appears the new software update to the Paperwhites has caused an issue with my 3G Modem. The old Kindle Touch works fine at home.
We have no landline and rely on wireless at home using Orange/Masmovil for our internet with a TP Link TL MR3420 3G/3.75G Wireless N Router.

I can download books to the desktop PC and transfer them to the Paperwhite using a USB cable. However, I would be interested to know if I am correct in assuming there is a conflict with my router and the new software on the Paperwhites and if the router can be reconfigured to get around the problem.

Thanks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Kindle Paperwhite - Books Queuing. Modem Issue?

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:14 am

Hi Granite,
Looks like you will have to live with your current workaround as no solutions are jumping out of the woodwork at the moment.
You could try chatting to Amazon , at least making then aware that the last update caused problems .
As there is no roll back to previous release you're stuck as is at the moment. :(
Maybe spread your problem around some more Forums......like what you have already done on one other....... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Thanks Enrique. I have played with the 3G modem with no joy. There is apparently a problem downloading books following the software upgrade that others are experiencing but I do not believe it is widespread. So yes, the pragmatic solution is to download to the PC and transfer to the Kindle. Thanks again.

bigal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bigal » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:47 pm

My recent experience tells me that, although I request download to my Kindle, it downloads to the cloud instead and I have to transfer from there using "Manage my Kindle devices" on the Amazon site.

Alan
Alan - aka the anorexic grasshopper