iPlayer on Android

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Steamboats
Tourist

iPlayer on Android

Postby Steamboats » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:56 pm

I'm having trouble with BBC iPlayer on my Android devices. I use Smarty DNS and this is working fine with my NOW tv box. But with other devices, although I can get catch-up from iPlayer, they all fail on live programmes with "this content is not currently available". I have only just returned after several weeks in the UK and everything was fine before I left. Perhaps somehow linked to the new licence query?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: iPlayer on Android

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:32 pm

First, make sure you have the latest version of the Iplayer before you do anything else.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:42 pm

Just tried it and the same here on my Android smartphone.
However if I use Avast VPN on my Android smartphone I can can watch live.
seems to be a Smarty DNS problem.
I shall report it to Smarty DNS.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:33 pm

From early Sept, they have blocked a load more VPNs and DNS services from iPlayer
Also found they have blocked it on Freesat boxes, but using the same VPN service all working fine on NOW TV and Sky digiboxes.
Obviously, Freesat and direct access they have more control over and can put block in easier than via Skys servers.
Nothing to do with "the new licence query", but all to do with accessing outside the UK.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Steamboats
Tourist

Postby Steamboats » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks GerryH for raising a ticket. I should have done this but, as my SmartyDNS seems to be working fine for the NOW box with iPlayer, I assumed this might not be a Smarty issue. All my copies of iPlayer are up-to-date, except possibly the version in the NOW box, which does make me wonder if some extra check has been embedded.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:50 pm

On the Now box it should update automatically. I haven't used Android for a while but updating had to be done using a VPN to get into Google play UK site.

Steamboats
Tourist

Postby Steamboats » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:07 pm

An update on this bug. I reported it to SmartyDNS and one day later everything is working fine again. Not sure whether they have done something or perhaps it was just "one of those things". But the good service now resumed (I link my Android Kodi TV box to a TP Link router which is set up with a UK DNS).Thanks for all the comments and advice.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:31 pm

As you know I had reported it, they asked for some info from my Android device which I supplied and am awaiting a further reply from them.
As a result of your message I just tried iPlayer on my Android phone and it is indeed working again.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:35 am

I contacted support and said I could now use iPlayer again without any problems an asked them if the problem was with them or iPlayer.
I received the following reply from SmartyDNS support:-

Hi,
we had an issue on our side that were affecting a small part of our users. We are sorry for the inconveniences!

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris