IPTV packages

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

IPTV packages

Postby bbobandannie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:13 am

I now have my internet all set up in my rural Finca and getting an impressive service. However, I am now searching for a good IPTV package to add to a new mag box. I have been offered half price for 6 months from uktvinspain. Does anyone have any experience with them or can anyone recommend anyone better?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: IPTV packages

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:24 am

You might get some answers if you said where in Spain you are.
Add your location to your profile. :wave: :wave:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:32 am

Oops sorry! Will change my profile then. For the record were in Ardales, north of Malaga.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:54 am

NOW tv...No contract,
Pay channels and catch-up from SKY
Free catch-up from BBC, ITV, 4 and 5 including live BBC and ITV.
Fimon with now and next EPG
The box costs around £15 and the rest is up to you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:17 am

Gerry, The OP has Ardales on his profile.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:30 am

costakid wrote:Gerry, The OP has Ardales on his profile.
It wasn't in the profile when the message was posted.
Granted the OP has now included it. See their message above.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:14 am

He also says he already has a Mag box. There are several subs available on ebay.co.uk offering various annual sub packages for around 80 pounds giving a huge spread of channels, catchup etc etc and in HD. I know of people who have these packs and are very happy with them, certainly cheaper than most local providers here.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Yep hands up folks I did change my profile after Gerry's first reply but thanks to everyone. I have seen the ones available on eBay and they are indeed cheaper than the local provider. I was wondering whether they are all the same or if one was better than the others. At less than £100 a year for everything they seem good value.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:36 pm

The problem is that these packages are illegal. They don't have the right to sell on Sky and the free channels can be sourced free of charge directly from their websites or apps.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Agreed Mark, I don't have it but others have for a few years now and like it. Each to their own I suppose. Mind you strictly speaking I suppose I'm being slightly illegal with intelsat 907 and my amazon fire tv box. Not bothered about premium sports stuff personally, my local bar shows that........on their magbox.........ah well

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Watching and subscribing directly to British channels outside the UK is a grey area and is very likely not illegal under EU law, although this is an ongoing question. However, it is different to selling on products to which they don't have the rights to.

Movistar have the right to EPL and are cracking down heavily on bars who do not pay the higher subscriptions for bars similar to what happened in the UK around 10 years ago so that's the risk they will have to take.

They are actually actively looking for bars using misusing Yomvi, their version of SkyGo

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Crikey they could clean up then....

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:10 pm

bbobandannie wrote:I now have my internet all set up in my rural Finca and getting an impressive service. However, I am now searching for a good IPTV
I pay $85 ( per year) for a VPN (on my router) and use several Now TV boxes with Film on side loaded. I also pay £6.99 per month for the Entertainment package from Now TV. this is more than we need but gives a very good selection of programmes. We very rarely watch any thing live.
Gerry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 pm

bbobandannie wrote:I now have my internet all set up in my rural Finca and getting an impressive service.
OK what is the impressive service you get?
What download speed do you get?
Is it consistent at all times of day, particularly at peak viewing time?
Is there a monthly data cap with the service?
All these things can effect how good an IPTV service you can use.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:32 am

markwilding wrote:Watching and subscribing directly to British channels outside the UK is a grey area and is very likely not illegal under EU law, although this is an ongoing question. However, it is different to selling on products to which they don't have the rights to.
Under Eu laws it is NOT illegal to watch free or pay TV from another EU country.
Nor is it illegal to use a viewing card in another EU country, particularly in domestic homes. It may be against the T&Cs of the viewing cad, but it is not illegal.
Commercial premises are classed as public places, and this is where copyright law comes into play and it gets "illegal".

But as you point out, broadcasters cannot provide cards outside their "contracted territory"...all down to the rights they own.
Which is why when Sky UK launch their NOW TV service in Spain, the content on offer will be vastly reduced compared to the content they offer in the UK. This is when they start to buy "pan european rights" to cover their satellite services in the UK, Germany, Austria and Italy, and NOW TV offerings in other countries they yet cover.

As for speeds, found this speed tester - speedof.me - which when i have used it produces more realistic results then the popular speedtest.net - thelatter constantly says I have 2.5m lower than what I can actually get...the former gets withing 0.5 of what I actually have!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:02 am

In the context of these IP TV providers, what I actually meant was that only SKY and it official partners can sell SKY products.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Sorry, Gerry but I don't see why you would load filmon to a nowtv box - unless one wants to watch "Hot TV" or similar.

Am I missing something as I get all the channels I need from the nowtv apps?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:17 pm

From my POV its very easy to use, well laid out, excellent quality compared to all other Filmon apps I've seen and also gives you LIVE C4 and C5 whereas NOWTV for these 2 is just on demand. So it a great add on to my NOW box

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:22 pm

ashtondav wrote:Sorry, Gerry but I don't see why you would load filmon to a nowtv box - unless one wants to watch "Hot TV" or similar.

Am I missing something as I get all the channels I need from the nowtv apps?
Firsttango beat me to the draw.
Gerry

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:44 am

Ok, I see. I rarely watch live tv so not an issue for me. However, just for information is there a link for how to "side load" an app onto nowtv?