UK mobile in Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

UK mobile in Spain

Postby jaycecampo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 pm

I bought a mobile phone in the UK. On returning to Spain I put my Spanish Lebara sim card in it says it's roaming, why is this. As I understand all UK phones are open phones. Many thanks techies...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK mobile in Spain

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Not all mobiles are unlocked. You have to request from some airtime providers an unlocked phone. To unlock an iPhone is about £100 in Malaga. I always have mine open to any network so when I’m finished with them in the UK I can pass them on to family or use in Spain.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:33 pm

jaycecampo wrote:I bought a mobile phone in the UK. On returning to Spain I put my Spanish Lebara sim card in it says it's roaming, why is this. As I understand all UK phones are open phones. Many thanks techies...
What is the make/ model of the phone and where did you buy it?
Did you buy it as a PAYG (Pay As You Go) or is the phone on contract ?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. All the mobiles we have bought here have this roaming warning come up with Spanish sims. Our friend was worried about it and took it back to the shop (it was a Hits sim) where she had bought the phone and the sim. The guy in the shop fixed it for her. When I checked all he had down was tick the box saying "don't warn me when roaming". So that's what I have done as well. These were all payg sims. Someone said that as you are using the phone in Spain and it is a Spanish sim you are obviously not roaming but it has something to do with the fact that Hits use Vodaphone network and this causes confusion. These third party sims maybe are the issue e.g. Lebara as well.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:57 pm

From time to time I use a temporary sim in the UK or Ireland and I get the same message. I just ignore it.
Regarding being able to use any sim, this depends on various factors. For example, if you have received a free or a subsidised phone because it's tied to a contract. The big high street companies tend to lock them when doing this.
I bought my phone in the Apple shop in London with no contract so it was unlocked and could use it here in Spain . The other companies that sell their phones unlocked is the Car Phone Warehouse although I would imagine others do as well

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:36 pm

You can buy unlocked phones just about anywhere in the UK and here of course Mark.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:03 pm

i meant that the Car Phone Warehouse often sells them unlocked even if you have a contract or buy a subsidised one.

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks everyone. We have been to the very nice new shop in La Trocha in Coin, Mooby, who called Labara and they confirmed it wasn't on roaming.