cancelling Movistar

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

cancelling Movistar

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:38 am

We are getting rid of our land line, we hardly use it so decided to get rid of it. Is it just a case of sending a letter by registered post to Movistar giving a months notice and then cancelling our direct debit ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: cancelling Movistar

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:43 am

I had no trouble, but if you have a Movistar phone or router these have to be returned before they will cancel your contract. I didn't write to them, I just called their customer service department.

Sid

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Interesting, I have to cancel the internet and landline here. The internet no longer works due to the problem being the house owners not Movistars. Where does the router have to be returned to ? The customer service number you used was 1004 El Cid ? My Spanish probably won't cover this but might have to try it as the landlord has less Spanish than me it seems.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:52 pm

You need to take it back to one of their outlets.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:26 pm

When we left Spain I cancelled through their Customer Services. They mentioned the phone and router both of which we had replaced with our own purchases some while previously. I told them this and pointed out the originals would have been over 10 years old. They accepted it.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 am

You must call movistar to cancel the contract first they will give you a reference number and then you return the router and whatever back to the movistar shop and they give you a receipt.
There are English speaking operators. Sometimes apparently you may have to keep trying to get one though but they are there...... somewhere.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:55 pm

We too are thinking of cancelling our landline. It is a TRAC installation. Not user removable so presumably they come and remove that?. Good point about the instrument. Got that somewhere....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:15 pm

As I said earlier, I did it by phone. I asked what I had to do with the router and phone and they said to return it to a Movistar shop. They did not mention the code number. At the shop they said they could not accept the units without a "Codigo de Baja" which only Movistar can issue. Another phone call asking specifically for the "Codigo de Baja" and it was then OK. So make sure you ask for the code when you phone them.

Incidentally, I transferred my old numbers (phone and mobile) to my WiFi supplier at the same time and that all happened within 48 hours and they sent me text messages to tell me when they had been transferred.

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:20 am

Well I telephoned to cancel our telephone, was told I had to write in to them. I wrote, no reply, so telephoned, got cut off after being on hold for 20 min. I telephoned again, this time I spoke to a lady who spoke so loud I could not understand her, she then finished whatever she was shouting down the phone and hung up! I will try again on Monday! According to the online information that was with the latest bill we can cancel over the phone.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:23 am

Assuming you owe them no money, just terminate your bank payment arrangement (tell your bank to make no further payments to them), and send Movistar a letter stating that you have done this, and require the service to be immediately terminated.

We had all this years ago, when Movistar dragged out the termination of a contract with them for several months, claiming that monthly standing charges were still payable while they obfuscated, even though no calls had been made. When it came to cancelling our remaining three contracts with them, I did it as above. Our bank confirmed they were getting numerous such instructions each week. Results were immediate: if they can't obtain any more of your money, they cave in.
Chris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:50 pm

We have had a letter stating our contract stopped on 18th November and we were due a small refund. We still have a line connected, we were told an engineer would disconnect 'at their end' . We have cancelled the direct debit.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:31 am

They move at snail's pace. So be it. At least they're not charging you any more.
Chris