Whatsapp

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
knowal
Resident

Re: Whatsapp

Postby knowal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am

Actually Facebook / Whatsapp were totally genius in providing a free communications platform which picks up all contacts on the phone or through Google cloud or MSN or Yahoo. I know it does the Google contacts, not certain about the other 2.
So they have mopped up virtually every contact in the world, with cross referencing they can build a picture of exactly who knows who.
Whatsapp and Facebook have been told they cannot share info but it's too late, they already have it. I doubt Facebook ever hard delete anything.
Knowledge is power and it's worth a little loss leader when you're making a billion dollars a month.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 am

gerryh wrote:OK so what can I do to reduce the amount of data collected about me?
Cheers
Gerry
Well a good start would be to stop broadcasting your Full Name, Age and a Photo of yourself in open forums like A.com accessible by anyone, anywhere.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi,
Interesting point Harryj,

My Facebook keeps popping up with a "Person you may Know " ....Gerry Harris ( no mutual friends).........never searched for Gerry on FB..

so where did they get that hit from....A.com....... :?:

The only contact we have is on Skype.......... :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Indeed, with that info out there in the public domain leaves you vulnerable in my opinion......from those basics you could if so desired get much more such as mobile number, address etc and in the wrong hands all sorts of possibilities.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi Enrique
Haven't used Skype for a while, just signed onto it and you don't show as a contact of mine.
Can't remember ever having communicated via Skype with you.
I don't use Facebook but I think I have an account with them.
I'm not the only Gerry Harris in this world, perhaps you are seeing another one on Facebook?
I'll have a go at accessing Facebook if I can remember how to do it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi Gerry,
FB has the same face as your A.com Profile picture.........a twin perhaps.......... :shock:

At least you're not showing any info on FB page............. :thumbup:

As for Skype........we chatted way back, still have you on my Skype contacts............

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Common sense is needed more than anything. First of all if you don't want to sync contacts, switch them off on your device, make your Facebook and other social media accounts private and think about who you would like to view what you post and only allow people you want to see them.

Being able to find someone's telephone number is nothing new so as such I'm not sure what is so strange about it. I have a brother in law who refuses to have Facebook because he thinks someone will hack it for his photos although I'm not sure why anyone would want photos of a fifty eight year old man standing in front of the Eiffel Tower.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi,
Interesting point Harryj,

My Facebook keeps popping up with a "Person you may Know " ....Gerry Harris ( no mutual friends).........never searched for Gerry on FB..

so where did they get that hit from....A.com....... :?:

The only contact we have is on Skype.......... :)
And there is also a Fans of Gerry Harris FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/323138227719737/

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 am

When I eventually managed to access that FB page it is clearly another Gerry Harris and not me. :wave:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Gerry as Enrique says you must have a twin or someones impersonating you on FB :thumbup:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm

My smart phone died the other day and I bought a Telefunken 12,99 Euro one from MediaMarkt. Does everything I want and doesn't have internet so only needs charging every 4/5 days.
I was waiting to see if I change from Telefonica whether I get a free phone which is why I didn't buy an expensive one but quite frankly I'm Happy with it.
I do not want to make a movie or do anything fancy and I find I can survive quite well without the internet when I'm out and about!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:12 pm

HarryJ wrote:Gerry as Enrique says you must have a twin or someones impersonating you on FB :thumbup:
Enrique is correct.I am not denying it I have Facebook access so that we see photos of our grandchildren that our ex daughter in law posts on her Facebook page.
My reply was to northandsouth who said "And there is also a Fans of Gerry Harris FB page"
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Sorry Gerry my mistake I was probably taking you too literally in your post when you wrote " I don't use Facebook but I think I have an account with them."

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm quite happy to share this information with WhatsApp.
I see it as a trade off, basically because it's a service which is quite brilliant because so many people use it. Much worse was the other system where companies sold this type of data resulting in unsolicited phone calls

It helps me on so many different levels from business to personal stuff. Even my tenants can get in contact with me at a moments notice and I can quickly resolve any problem they have. Before it would take days. Another benefit is that it's so easy to set up visits by workmen and by keeping them up to date, they can see that we are trying to help them which keeps them calm.

I don't see any difference to using A.COM on the Edge browser which also uses cookies to track my browsing and having ads from sites I have visited appearing at the top and bottom of the page. I can live with that if the sites and services are offered at no cost.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:56 am

Im a newcomer to whatsapp. .tbh i never saw the point of it as if you have a smartphone you get your emails direct to your phone anyway so what the need for it when you can just email someone.maybe im missing something?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:30 am

The point of it is that millions of people use it to the exclusion of anything else. Some of these people have given up using emails and even the phone (you must remember that - it's where you actually talk to real people). The landline is becoming less common as people rely exclusively on their smartphone.

As a result, if you need to communicate within this group of people you have little option to use it, albeit occasionally.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:37 am

Hi elusive,

Really popular method in Spain for Group contacts..see Mark's post above............. :D

The light reading....................

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget ... n/WhatsApp

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:11 am

There are good reasons why it's so popular
Benefits
Group chats meaning information can be sent in one go to a group of people already set up
Instant messenger and response.
Photos
scanned documents...Just take a photo of a document and send, although there are apps that will scan to PDF if you need something a little more formal.
If you find you need to actually talk to the person you are messaging press the telephone icon at the top of the program for a free call to anybody anywhere in the world.
video calls
Send a google map to someone who needs to meet up with you but can't find your location
Forward contact details with ease.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Mark - can you suggest any of the apps you mention that will scan to pdf ? My son's friend needs something that does it :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)