How to make a TV smart?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Unicorn
Resident

How to make a TV smart?

Postby Unicorn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:18 am

Asking for a friend!

What device can you buy to make a TV smart, not to get UK TV just Spanish, Netflix etc?

Cheers folks :wave:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: How to make a TV smart?

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:27 am

Cheapest way is probably 30 quids worth of Chromecast.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

My chromecast just sends things from the laptop, I mean more like a Now TV box but not for UK TV or an android box?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Amazon Fire TV, either Box or Stick.
Box allows direct broadband (ethernet) connection. Excellent bit of kit, 4k capable, and v.g. picture quality.
Stick is just wireless (to router).
Both connect to tv by HDMI.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm

I bought a Fire TV while in London and I have to agree it's the best IP TV box i have used and much better than the fire stick, which has been relegated to the bedroom TV..
It is possible to download apps such as TV Player and sideload other UK TV and google apps such as Kodi with a neat little app called fireDL really easily .
The only little gripe is for some reason I can't play the UHD clip of planet Earth.

I have also bought an Amazon Echo which i like but unless you are a gadget nerd like me, most people wouldn't be interested.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Bosch in 4k uhd on Amazon Prime is great as is Sense8 on Netflix and agreed the Amazon Fire TV is excellent and very quick and responsive

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:35 am

markwilding wrote: The only little gripe is for some reason I can't play the UHD clip of planet Earth.
I think this is the reason "but hey, even an SDR 4K stream of Planet Earth 2 is pretty exciting in itself, right? Except that there’s more bad news to impart before you all run off to fire up the iPlayer app on your PC or TV: the iPlayer Ultra HD trial currently only works on 2015/2016 4K Panasonic TVs
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/b ... 8i86jm5.99
"

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/b ... de-2947016

I recently watched the entire series of Planet Earth 2 on 4K UHD disc......truly amazing

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:10 pm

This is a very timely thread from my point of view as far as I'm concerned. I have the opportunity to have the Amazon Fire TV Box + remote brought over from the UK in a few weeks time.

Although I do have a UK Amazon account, I do not pay for Prime as it's not worth it to me. On the other hand I have Prime on my Spanish Amazon a/c. I imagine if I marry the Fire TV Box to Amazon.es I would receive Spanish channels which I do not want.

What could I expect to receive if I marry the box up to my Amazon.co.uk account? I saw a YouTube video stating that apps are available for BBC iPlayer and Ch 5. How about ITV Hub and Ch4 more? It's mainly the UK terrestrial channels I am interested in, for TV and Movies I use Kodi.

Another aspect of this box I like is that Kodi can be loaded onto it, but I'm not sure about addons such as Stream Hub, Covenant, etc. Are they downloaded in the same way as normal?

I also have Kodi set up to my own liking - it's a bit grandiose to call it a build - is it possible to load my 'build' onto the Fire TV Box? In Windows 10 I can look at a hidden folder to get access to the .kodi folder and extract the folders I need to zip them for transferring to another device.

That's enough for now, I think. Cheers.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:19 pm

I have Amazon Prime in Spain and get it on my apps and tho I've not watched it a lot it seems to be in English and there are Spanish options, rather like Netflix.

Hope that helps.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:35 am

Chunky Monky wrote:.
This is a very timely thread from my point of view as far as I'm concerned. I have the opportunity to have the Amazon Fire TV Box + remote brought over from the UK in a few weeks time.

Although I do have a UK Amazon account, I do not pay for Prime as it's not worth it to me. On the other hand I have Prime on my Spanish Amazon a/c. I imagine if I marry the Fire TV Box to Amazon.es I would receive Spanish channels which I do not want.

What could I expect to receive if I marry the box up to my Amazon.co.uk account? I saw a YouTube video stating that apps are available for BBC iPlayer and Ch 5. How about ITV Hub and Ch4 more? It's mainly the UK terrestrial channels I am interested in, for TV and Movies I use Kodi.

Another aspect of this box I like is that Kodi can be loaded onto it, but I'm not sure about addons such as Stream Hub, Covenant, etc. Are they downloaded in the same way as normal?

I also have Kodi set up to my own liking - it's a bit grandiose to call it a build - is it possible to load my 'build' onto the Fire TV Box? In Windows 10 I can look at a hidden folder to get access to the .kodi folder and extract the folders I need to zip them for transferring to another device.

That's enough for now, I think. Cheers.
Linking your fire tv box to your amazon.co.uk account all the catch up apps are available. Smart DNS essential.
On the amazon web page you order these free apps plus dozens more which then link over to your box.
UK prime subscription opens up the amazon prime video and tv library, amazon Spain premium sub won't work if the box is linked to your uk account.

Yes you can sideload Kodi and many other 3rd party apps onto the fire tv box. There are many tutorials on line on how to do this using apk's. ADB link is one I have used in the distant past. You can install your addons like on any other device. As to whether your "build" can be put on it I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable.
The box is totally customisable,at its core it's a posh android box.
And it is an excellent piece of high quality kit.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 am

FireDL is by far the simplest way of sideloading Apps onto the Fire TV box. You look for the code online. A quick google will find them, type them in and they automatically download and install.
There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks N&S and Mark.

I am mainly planning to use this box with a Panasonic TV that is past it's best. I also have an older monitor that works OK and has an HDMI socket on the back - is there any particular reason the Fire TV box wouldn't work with this?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:21 pm

It will work with everything except Prime unless you have signed up to the UK version. I also have the cheaper Spanish yearly subscription, mainly for free next day delivery. I can only get Prime TV on my TV, ipad etc. I suppose this will stay the same until Amazon starts selling the fire tv in Spain.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi Mark

Like you I have Prime in Spain (I think I signed up for Premium originally and they 'converted' it to Prime) but not in UK, I looked up the price of UK Prime and was a bit shocked it is £79p.a. No thanks. I downloaded Prime Video this morning, there is nothing there for me to warrant paying the subscription fee. I have seen many of the series on Kodi already.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am

Chunky Monky wrote:Thanks N&S and Mark.

I am mainly planning to use this box with a Panasonic TV that is past it's best. I also have an older monitor that works OK and has an HDMI socket on the back - is there any particular reason the Fire TV box wouldn't work with this?
It should work on any HDMI TV or monitor, but for it to work in 4K only certain TV's with HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2) will work.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:19 pm

It should work on any HDMI TV or monitor, but for it to work in 4K only certain TV's with HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2) will work.
My paid for internet speed is supposed to be 10Mbps but I usually get get 6 or 7 so 4K is a far-off dream! I experience buffering on streams higher than SD.