Spanish mobile use from USA

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Parilla
Resident

Spanish mobile use from USA

Postby Parilla » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Has anyone experience of using a smartphone on a Movistar pay as you go contract, from the USA ?

I see Movistar has a deal, 2'50euros per day which you can sign up for before going, but can't tell if it applies to pay as you go as well as contracts.

Or, does anyone know of any other "economical" way of using the phone if we need to ?

Parilla

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish mobile use from USA

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 pm

As far as I know the most economical way of using a phone is with the watsup app as calls are free as long as you stay within WIFI zones
It might also be worth checking what short term deals are available in the States using a different sim. You would need to make sure your phone isn’t locked though. With The car phone warehouse in Ireland i got 15GB data and unlimited calls for 30 days and for only 15€
Companies such as Lebara offer these deals but google cheap PAYG deals USa and see what it throws up.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 pm

markwilding wrote:As far as I know the most economical way of using a phone is with the watsup app as calls are free as long as you stay within WIFI zones
Depends on your mobile phone provider.
I'm with Vodafone here in Spain. I can use my data connection, on my mobile phone, and Whatsapp doesn't use any of the data allowance totally, and surprisingly, free.
It's feature of what they call "Chat pass"
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 am

Thanks chaps, I've gone with the Movistar idea as it is simple. I only wanted an emergency option if we needed to phone and no wifi was available, and the Movistar does the job, plus you pay nothing if it is not used.

Parilla

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 am

Just thought I'd give an update. Thought I'd got everything cracked. Did all the arrangements in one of the local Movistar offices, following the advice of both girls who assured me this add on was what I needed, paid in loads of dosh to give us a healthy credit balance, and away. Result ???????? Absolutely zilch, nada, nut'in, nix, b****r all ! Couldn't make calls either to a US number or to any other country, couldn't receive calls from anywhere, the phone was effectively a dead parrot.

Didn't really matter as we did not have any emergencies, and WhatsApp was working when in wifi range, but what a bloody performance. I think I am even too teed off to bother going into the office to complain - life's too short.

Parilla