Monitoring electricity supply

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
alisonb
Resident

Monitoring electricity supply

Postby alisonb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Power supply can be a bit flaky, but since I tend to leave a freezer on when we’re away, it would be really helpful to know if the power has gone off. Is there an app which can somehow look at Electric supply in the house (I leave internet on) so I can ask someone to go in and reset it?
AlisonB

vinuela vinny
Resident

Re: Monitoring electricity supply

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 am

Hi Alison

Our electricity supplier is Endesa, and we have a new smart meter, so can use their online monitoring of our supply. Usage is updated automatically every couple of days, and so even when back in the UK we can monitor that the power supply is still active......

Hope this helps

Vincent

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 am

My situation is kinda the same as i also leave the freezer on.
How i monitor is i put some ice cubes in a glass put in the freezer, if the ice is melted it means the food inside be re-frozen which has never happened.
I have only a small freezer on top of fridge so not so much to dump if things go wrong, probably not an option for large storage.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 am

i like that one.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks. I’ve got the Endesa smart meter, but they’re always a couple of days behind. I like the ice cube idea - I was looking for something a bit more high tech, but maybe simpler is better! Telitec were advertising a security camera which you can view from a smartphone. I don’t want to pay 200 € but if it plugs into mains maybe something like that would be an option
AlisonB

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 pm

If your problem is the fact that the earth leak trip switch randomly trips out you could try one of these. Not cheap, though:

https://www.amazon.es/Hager-tipo-Interr ... =8-2-fkmr1

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:38 pm

We use an empty spice jar filled with water, freeze then put a coin on top of the ice. If the coin is not on the top when you return it will indicate that there has been some defrosting.
Gerry

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks. Trip switch price isn't too bad, although I would have to add cost of fitting
AlisonB