Freeview app

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Freeview app

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:19 am

Regulars will know my dislike for having to pay for freeview style TV because with a little know how it is possible to watch most channels free in high quality one way or another.
Obviously, the drawback has always been the lack of simplicity for the entire range of freeview channels. However, it has been announced that an official Freeview app is to be released in January. Whether or not it will be possible to use it here in Spain will be subject to testing but I’m sure a work around such as VPNs or DNS severs will be found.

The benefits of official apps are many but one of the most important is that in a big organisation they invest properly in the infrastructure, any bugs etc are sorted quickly and it won’t suddenly disappear or stop working properly because the creator is too busy to work on it.
More info here
https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-blo ... XhhYOeD.97
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Freeview app

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:37 am

That's interesting. Clearly its usability with depend on how easy it is to transfer the content to a TV from the device and what restrictions there might be. If the app was available incorporated into the various Smart TVs and set top boxes it would be a major improvement.

Interesting that it was developed by Arquiva as they are the people who manage the I907 satellite feed.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:43 pm

So downloaded the app and have given it a little try. For it to work properly, the various apps from BBC, ITV etc have to be installed on the Ipad etc.

There is an EPG which goes back 7 days to watch anything from the previous 7 days and 7 days into the future. No big TV app as of yet but maybe someone will come up with a way of installing this on a Fire TV sometime soon.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:09 pm

Was going to have a play also. Apple only, doh!!!!!!!!
Regards

Bob

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:10 pm

The link in the 1st post does say "An Android version will launch in early 2019", so hopefully it won't be too long.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:14 pm

any idea when it will be launched on iOS

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:16 pm

I have their current app installed so hopefully it'll upgrade itself when the new version is launched. That's what they say will happen. But I want to play (throw toys out of pram) now.. :-)
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:18 pm

costakid wrote:any idea when it will be launched on iOS
Available now in the English app store. Works well with a DNS.