Changing ISP?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Changing ISP?

Postby Stoker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:02 am

I am approaching the end of my 12months with Movistar and I'm thinking about changing to Orange. I have a fibre optic line with telephone although I never use the phone.

I know that I can go into the Orange shop and arrange a new contract with them but does this automatically cancel the contract with Movistar or do I need to do this independently myself? Also do I need to return Movistar's modem/router?

Is there anyone who has been through the process that can advise me what steps are involved especially in relation to cancelling Movistar?

Many Thanks

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Changing ISP?

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:20 pm

I did not have a pre existing arrangement: I went to the orange shop in Las Palmas and told them I wanted one of their internet packages.
An engineer came to my apartment block and installed a fibre optic system (fibra) plugged in my laptop, entered my code and viola, this system has worked for me very successfully for almost two years now with zero hiccups, it's fast and efficient and costs me €45.99 per month which includes unlimited (fast) internet service, I'm able to run 5 devices through this system 2 cellphones, laptop, ipad etc, 200 minutes talk time (in Spain/Canaries, and 200 msm's per month.
As I understand it (and if I'm wrong I'll bow to superior knowledge) you have to have the Orange system already connected to your apartment block.
I've been very happy with this excellent service and I believe the monthly cost is very attractive to me.
I don't know what the installation costs would be for a private or individual property.
I hope this is useful to you :-)

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm

Many Thanks Manchesteral

We have several networks connected to our building including Movistar and Orange. We have had a similar experience with Movistar but they keep increasing the price (twice in the past 10 months!). What I am interested in is the process of changing between one and the other. Since posting my query I went to a Movistar shop and they told me that all I have to do is to sign up with the new provider and they will handle the switch over including cancelling the previous provider.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:05 pm

When I moved from Movistar I called 1004 and cancelled. They gave me a code number which I needed to return the router and phone to a Movistar shop. The shop would not just take the equipment without this code. The new company arranged the transfer of the number.

I have just moved back to Movistar and it's the same process.

Sid

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Many Thanks for your reply Sid