tv

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
wollie
Resident

tv

Postby wollie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:44 am

I was talking to a guy last evening in a bar, he works in the tv industry.
He said the optimal viewing distance for tv is diagonal X 4 which i found interesting.
This is approx distance in my house but i always thought my tv too small.
What's opinion of experts here?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: tv

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:13 am

It depends on the TV. Most new TVs are 4K UHD. The correct viewing distance is about 1.5x the screen diagonal size. For a 55" TV that's about 7ft. It could be as close as 5ft before you can see the dots. The idea is that for optimum viewing your TV screen should fill your field of view - you are supposed to watch the picture, not the living room!

I normally watch from about 6-7 ft

This explains the theory

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-si ... lationship

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:44 am

And my mum always told me I would get square eyes when I sat close to the old 12" screen back in the 60's :crazy:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:50 am

Isn't the best viewing distance the distance that you are comfortable watching from?
If too far away might strain your eyes to see the details, if too close might give you a head ache.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:28 pm

It's your choice. I did say it was for optimum viewing. If you sit 12 ft away from a 4'K TV you have wasted your money as you would see exactly the same detail on a HD TV. If you get eye strain or a headache you need to go to Specsavers!

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:53 pm

El Cid wrote:It's your choice. I did say it was for optimum viewing. If you sit 12 ft away from a 4'K TV you have wasted your money as you would see exactly the same detail on a HD TV. If you get eye strain or a headache you need to go to Specsavers!

Sid
Of course its my choice but that is not what the conversation was about.
A person in the bar bought a 40" tv and was saying the price was good.
I just mentioned that i thought my tv too small and this is what he said diagonal X 4 which surprised me.
He is the manager of a tv transmitting station so i suspect he knows what he is about.
Thankfully i do not need advise on health and certainly not here...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 pm

But Sid is right, I depends on various aspects. In a bar it is likely that you are watching from a greater distance so the video quality is less important on a 40 inch TV.
I certainly won't be measuring the diagonal X 4 when I buy my next TV. There are other aspects to take into account as well such as the maximum size my wife will allow me to have. Seriously though, the visual aspect has to be taken into account as well. I have been in living rooms where the TV as far to big for the room and looks ugly.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:45 pm

wollie wrote: Of course its my choice but that is not what the conversation was about.
A person in the bar bought a 40" tv and was saying the price was good.
I just mentioned that i thought my tv too small and this is what he said diagonal X 4 which surprised me.
He is the manager of a tv transmitting station so i suspect he knows what he is about.
Thankfully i do not need advise on health and certainly not here...
I was not replying to you - I was replying to Gerry. If it was directed at you I would have quoted you. Quoting is not required if you are replying to the previous post in a thread.

Your "expert" is right if he was referring to a non HD TV. Has anyone still got one of those? With HD and UHD the distance would be much closer.

I will reiterate that these are "optimum" measurements to get the best, most immersive viewing experience.

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks for replies, i do not know the rights and wrongs but more to it than i thought, as long as it works i am happy.
We were not watching tv in the bar we were having a drink and talking rubbish which i am pretty good at.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:07 pm

El Cid wrote:
Your "expert" is right if he was referring to a non HD TV. Has anyone still got one of those? With HD and UHD the distance would be much closer.

I will reiterate that these are "optimum" measurements to get the best, most immersive viewing experience.

Sid
We have a lowly HD tv. Given that we view from 5m away there isnt much point swapping for a 4K tv. Could do with getting a bigger screen though as the old visual accuity ain't what it used to be.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:30 pm

It’s all down to the individual. If your sight isn’t brilliant, you cannot realise the benefit of a really good TV. It’s the same with music. Paying £1000 for a really good music system is pretty silly if you wear hearing aids!

Horses for courses!

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Don't think you'd get a really good sound system for a meagre grand. My speakers alone cost almost that...
Regards

Bob

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:15 pm

they have a 50" own brand in carrefour for €299 at the moment.. handy if the ol´peepers are o n the blink :lol:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Intetesting. Have you any experience of them? Are they any good? Not overly botheted about how good the smart side of things are as i really only use the tv as a display for tvbox, ps, firestick etc.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 pm

casita-bonita wrote:Don't think you'd get a really good sound system for a meagre grand. My speakers alone cost almost that...
True, but is your hearing up to it? Most people have lost their ability to hear high frequency sounds after the age of 50.

Just buying expensive speakers won’t improve that. Fact of life unfortunately.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 pm

casita-bonita wrote:
spanish_lad wrote:they have a 50" own brand in carrefour for €299 at the moment.. handy if the ol´peepers are o n the blink :lol:
Intetesting. Have you any experience of them? Are they any good? Not overly botheted about how good the smart side of things are as i really only use the tv as a display for tvbox, ps, firestick etc.
we have one.. imho .. it rocks. seems clear and decent. I can take some pictures of the picture if thats any help. sound is decent as well, although we have it hooked to the surround sound for "loud" stuff.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Is it HD or UHD?

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:06 pm

El Cid wrote:
casita-bonita wrote:Don't think you'd get a really good sound system for a meagre grand. My speakers alone cost almost that...
True, but is your hearing up to it? Most people have lost their ability to hear high frequency sounds after the age of 50.

Just buying expensive speakers won’t improve that. Fact of life unfortunately.

Sid
Yup, mines gone. But a few years ago when i was into hifi and bought these i could hear the difference, and so could my missus who turned into a hifi snob, although she wouldn't admit it at the time.
Regards

Bob

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:51 am

I think even though you have lost your hearing range, good speakers still give you better audio within the range that you can hear than those cheapies. Why people want sound bar instead of the speakers own TV is an example and this also applies to other audio equipment.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:32 am

Again it's horses for courses. I want good audio for music but at the same time decent cinema surround sound. I also have to take my wife' opinion into consideration. Before I married I bought a very early pre-mini system 5.1 amplifier. However, the whole stack system and speakers were massive and my wife pressured me to change it, which I did about 10 years ago, giving the old system to my brother in law. I am still happy with what I later purchased but I suspect that even though the old HIFI would now be over thirty years old, sound wise, it is still better than most systems on the market now.

TV though is another matter, visually I want one as good as what is feasible and I will replace my TV more frequently. As there has been a thread recently regarding how wasteful this might be, I will also add that recycling is also important, I always make sure the older version goes to a good home and take responsibility to find a home for each one down the chain.