UK PAYG mobile providers

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK PAYG mobile providers

Postby Wicksey » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:05 am

I have resurrected this thread as I received a text from Virgin saying I need a new SIM in order to continue to use it for roaming. The current one will expire 1 October. Due to Covid we haven't been back to the UK since February 2020 and my OH may not even go this year although he's hoping to.

I contacted Virgin and asked if they could send it here but they said it must go to the UK address I have registered. It wasn't a problem as I can get it sent on. However, then they said it must be activated in the UK. When I said that it wasn't possible as I would not be back there before 1 October with my phone, they said there was nothing I could do then.

So now I am going to transfer to Giffgaff as recommended earlier. I asked what I need to do to keep the number going and got the following response:
Do one of the following in any 6 month period (186 days), to keep your SIM and phone number active:
make an outgoing call (freephone numbers are OK, eg 0800)
send a text (shortcodes numbers are OK, eg. 7726)
top-up with credit (£10 min.) or add a goodybag
use data connection (without WiFi)
PS. yes you can activate a SIM in Spain

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Exactly the same thing happened to me.
Ordered a GiffGaff sim card for £1.20, including postage, from Ebay on Monday.
3 cards arrived today, put one in my phone and activated it without any problems.
The seller had recommended me as a friend so I got a £5 bonus added and so did he.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:59 am

I want to keep the same number which I understand I can do by asking for a PAC from Virgin then doing some sort of procedure with Giffgaff which I still have to look into. I still have 7 pounds credit which I may donate to charity rather than lose it to Virgin. I think I can send money by text to some charities.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Although you can only register a UK address on your personal details with Giffgaff, there is a section 'Coming to the UK' and you can order a new SIM through that and use your Spanish address, which is free. It's been pointed out to me to just charge the SIM with credit rather than buy a Goodybag (a bundle of free calls, text and so much data). The credit will last forever, but the Goodybag expires after 14 days if you are abroad apparently. I asked the community a question and I received two very useful and quick responses. Very impressed so far.

I will await my new SIM then see how I get on with getting the PAC from Virgin and transferring my number. I tried to donate some money via a text to a UK charity to use up the credit, and whilst I received an automated reply thanking me for my donation, the money has yet to be deducted from my balance, but I have been charged for the texts. I wonder if I cannot donate from abroad, but surely if the text has got through OK then the donation should as well?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:29 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:48 pm Although you can only register a UK address on your personal details with Giffgaff...
I have registered my Spanish address on GiffGaff without any problems.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:53 pm

How did you do that? When I tried to enter my Spanish address it just kept trying to match it with an existing UK one. I did this in my 'Personal details' under 'Profile and Settings'. It has a box for the postcode and when I tried to enter anything else it said UK postcode only. It only allowed me to put the Spanish address in when I requested a new SIM under the Coming to the UK section.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:15 pm

It was a new GiffGaff SIM as I posted earlier. So I set up a new account with GiffGaff.

Also, just went onto the Virgin site and was immediately given my PAC code which I entered on my GiffGaff site and the number will be transferred on Tuesday.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:36 pm

That's exactly what I have just done. I set up a new account with Giffgaff and have ordered a new SIM that is being sent to me here as a separate address box popped up. However, when I went to enter an address under my Personal details in my Profile page it would only accept a UK one. It's where I registered my name, address etc and set the contact permissions.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:51 pm

I received my new Sim really quickly but then couldn't log into my account. Kept saying there was a connection issue. So I just went to the website to activate my new SIM and in doing so set up another account, and when paying managed to set my Spanish account as my personal address. I have obviously jumped the gun in setting up an account before I got my card and paid for credit.

So I got there in the end, immediately received my PAC code and now awaiting connection. Due to the dodgy phone signal at home I may have to check when I am next out in civilisation that it is working. It's a job I hate doing, fiddling around with those tiny SIM cards.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:14 pm

GiffGaff will send you an SMS when they have transferred your old number.
Shouldn't be more than 2 days.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:36 pm

I shall grab a phone signal and check, thanks Gerry. It has all worked very well so far and Giffgaff generally seem a better provider.