Android Apps from somewhere other than Google Play

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
sampedrena
Resident

Android Apps from somewhere other than Google Play

Postby sampedrena » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:52 pm

Really hope someone can help with this!

I have recently noticed that Google Play will not let me download UK Apps - even when I have Smarty switched on. Play seems to have decided that I am in the United Arab Emirates! (which I've not even visited). Smarty tell me that it is not down to them and, in fact, Smarty does work with iPlayer etc so that may well be the case.

I am trying to find a different source to download BBC Sounds (I have a copy but it is not working properly - always says Queued when trying to download). Aptoide only has a previous version - but I am worried about deleting the copy I have in case the previous version will not work either.
So I thought I'd go via Amazon App Store - but I can't even get that to download on my tablet. I click to get a link sent by email, but it is not an apk file.

Are there any other trusted Android App download sites that anyone can suggest, please.

Also does anyone have a VPN that definitely does work with Google Play?

Thanks so much
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Android Apps from somewhere other than Google Play

Postby gerryh » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:02 pm

This is what I have done.
I have set up a Gmail email account using a UK address, doesn't have to be a real address a valid postcode will do.
On my phone, I have included the new email address as another account.
Then in Playstore I switch to using the UK account and can download UK only apps.
I have 6 or so different gmail addresses for the purpose of kidding Amazon, Playstore etc as to exactly who I am and where I am.
There are other app stores but some of them download fake/dubiuos apps.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 am

If you are gonna download from a non offical play store make sure you have an antivirus app such as avast on your phone

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:30 am

Hi sampedrena,
Using Android 7.0 on a phone........ not got a Tablet with android

Downloaded BBC Sounds from Playstore, installed and then login to my BBC account............programs play ok. No Smarty/VPN set ,phone in Spain.

In your case I'd uninstall BBC Sounds, Clear Android Cache , shutdown the Tablet, Restart and Download from Playstore with Standard Connection to your ISP..............."like what I did " with my phone above.

Let's know how you get on.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Thank you for these suggestions. I will try and see what I can do - and will let you know how I get on! If you have any other thoughts, please do let me know!

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 am

Thank you for your help. Pleased to report that I now have access to the UK Google Playstore! I set up a totally new Google Account and put it only on the Tablet that I use for BBC Sounds. I logged out of all other accounts, cleared cache & data, switched off tablet. When I switched on again - I got the UK Store (and didn't need a VPN) Finally I set up a payment option for Google in £ - in the hope that it will not change to some other unusual country when I'm not looking! This leads to a further question - I'm sure that I've seen somewhere that it's possible to set up a maximum spend amount on Google. That seems sensible, but I can't now find how to do it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
So - thank you for the help you have given to me with this problem, which has been really annoying me. In the scheme of things, not important - but it's great to have it sorted!! Thanks again

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:10 am

sampedrena wrote:! I set up a totally new Google Account...(and didn't need a VPN)
Glad you got sorted.
I assume it was a UK account you set up?
VPN or not has no effect.
As I said, I have two google accounts for using Playstore.
I usually use my Spanish account to download apps but if I want a UK only app I use my UK account.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes - it was a UK account that I set up and now that it is operating, as you say, I don't need a VPN. Using BBC Sounds I do use a VPN if I want to download programmes - which is what I usually do, so that I can listen to them anywhere. (Although obviously at the moment I am always at home!)

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions - much appreciated.