Mesh WiFi

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Mesh WiFi

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Has anybody got any experience of this? Since the lockdown I have been working in my living room but I would prefer to work in my office. The problem is that the WIFI is not great there.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mesh WiFi

Postby Enrique » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi Mark,
Some light reading ..............I'm guessing you have seen similar...

https://weakwifisolutions.com/wifi-mesh ... -adapters/

I use Powerline adapters to get a good result in a Cabin at the bottom of the garden on one of my networks.

EL Cid has good results from Powerline Adapters.

Look to be more expensive than Powerline Adapters.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks Enrique,

I've decided to go ahead I've gone for a cheap option
Tenda Nova, 3 units for 90 Euros. I report beck once I have it installed and have tried it for couple of days\

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:49 pm

I got my package this morning and using the phone app, I set it up which was easy. It basically sets up a new network so I was able to compare speeds using both my other routers. I was getting 3mbps on one and less on the other but with the mesh I got 60mbps so a massive improvement.
It works with the SmartDNS settings in both the router and it's also posible to input them into the mesh system vis the app.

Good for people with a router whose DNS settings can't be changed and if they have too many WIFI dead spots around the house.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Hi Mark,
What is your speed from your ISP :?:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:18 pm

500mbps

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:05 pm

I have stopped using power line extenders and use 2 tp link range extenders configured as access points having put in Cat6 cable through the house. I have 100mb at the router (having downgraded from 600mb) and I get 100mb everywhere including in the garden. The poweriine adaptors and the mesh systems which are basically similar don’t seem to be able to pass on the full speed. I wonder if they are actually capable of handling very high speeds. My power line adaptors can only manage about 30mb.

Putting in the network cables through the existing conduits was a bit of a pain, I wish I had put them in when I built the house. I put in every other sort of AV cables but didn’t think of the network cables - to be fair that was 20 years ago.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:03 am

Hi Mark
Thanks for the report.
Sounds like a good and cheap system.
Where did you buy it from?
Found it on Amazon.es for €168.99
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the update...........I am surprised you managed to convert 500Mbps in to 3Mbps for the end user :shock:

Thanks for your update too Sid.............going full circle back to Ethernet cables

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:54 am

There are more powerful versions and I think that's what you were looking at. I paid 90 Euros including delivery with prime. The pack required depends on the area that you need to cover. I have the main routers behind the TV cabled into the Smart TV services I use so get the benefit of the fast speeds where I need them,

https://www.amazon.es/Tenda-MW3-sustitu ... 163&sr=8-3

I have 500mbps and 50gbs for my phone with unlimited use at weekends, which the ISP, increases the from time to time automagically at no extra cost. I speak to them occasionally to review my deal armed with prices other companies are offering and they give me a discount for a year. At the moment I am paying 63 Euros for this which is fine when you consider the 50 GBs means I can use my phone as a router in the academy.

Range extenders didn't work for me as I kept getting problems.

Enrique, The reason for that is that the computer is right at the edge of the router’s reach Not only was it slow but also the signal was constantly dropping. Some times I was so frustrated I would move it 2 feet into the hallway just to get a page to load. Until today I couldn't use my laptop further down the desk.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:00 pm

"automagically" - what a lovely word ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)