Cancel sky subscription

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cancel sky subscription

Postby snorbs » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:07 am

I am thinking about cancelling my sky sub and have one question.
I find the sky box a really good way of watching catch up by downloading programs from iplayer, all4, itv hub etc.
The planner interface works well for me also.
Equally our internet connection isn't always great and by downloading the programs early in the morning they are available to watch whenever and no need to worry about buffering issues.
Will i still be able to use sky box once sub is cancelled for downloading from iplayer, all4 etc?

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: Cancel sky subscription

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:34 am

No.
For the Sky+ hard drive to be activated, that is used by the catch up services to download onto before it is made available for you to watch, you MUST have a sky subscription.
So no Iplayer Hub all4 etc
But it will still allow you to WATCH the free to air LIVE channels.

(Freesat boxes stream direct and dont buffer / record to the hard drive... downside is no All4 on Freesat, and if you have poor internet, not ideal)

If it is cost you are worried about, call and ask them for a discount to stay on...you can usually get 50% of for 18months if you ask them....and if you have sky sports (and BT sports), dont forget you can "pause" that part of the subscription whilst there is no live sport available.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:16 am

When I cancelled my Sky subscription they kept phoning me offering progressively greater discounts and more and more services but for me it just wasn't worth it. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime for a fraction of the annual subscription I was paying to Sky for a basic channel package many of which had disappeared when they changed the satellites.

If you hold out for long enough you may get to the stage where there are almost paying to to stay with them.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:18 pm

I have SKY Go through my brother so I don't pay and to be honest for the cost I don't think it is worth it.

With Netflix and Prime as well as DNZN I get everything I need and don't really watch much on Sky maybe apart from football, which I can also get from DAZN which also includes the matches shown on BT and a couple of matches at the 3 o'clock kick-off time.

DAZN also havs a pause button to pause the service while it's not needed so as you can imagine it is on pause at the moment.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:16 pm

Mark how do you get around not having to keep signing in to SkY go from UK? Daughter uses mine in France but periodically she has to log in from UK.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:22 pm

There are two ways. As long as you log in the UK now and again, she should be able to use it but remember I have a DNS and VPN so I suppose it resets it to appear as though my gadget has been used in the UK within the last few weeks.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:37 pm

True, I use a friends sign in and have never had a problem as I use a DNS.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 am

Remember under EU rules, you can use Paid subscription services from one EU country in another EU country without the need for VPN / SDNS systems, but only for a limited number of days, since the rule is designed for short stayers / holiday makers, not long term or expats. This for SkyGo is 35 days. After that daily limit, your device needs to be seen to be used in the UK again (via VPN / SDNS), for a new 35 day limit to be triggered.
Obviously, when Brexit fully kicks in, it will be up to Sky as to whether or not they continue this, since the EU law will no longer apply to the UK for this (just like the mobile phone companies and EU roaming)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it