live Channel 4 on NOW TV and Fire Stick

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

live Channel 4 on NOW TV and Fire Stick

Postby markwilding » Tue May 05, 2020 9:59 pm

I've just noticed that Live Channel 4 tv channels have just appeared in the channel 4 apps on my NOW TV and Fire TV units.
Not on my Samsung TV though.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: live Channel 4 on NOW TV and Fire Stick

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Channel 5 live has now appeared on the Fire stick. This means that All the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 channels can be viewed live on the Fire stick for free using an VPN or DNS server.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Bought a new Firestick Lite in the sales to play with. Well at 29euros hard to resist. Have to say that I'm pretty impressed with it. Sideloaded a couple of tv apps and it has pretty much taken over from my android box, apart from occasions when I need to run kodi.

I like the live tv guide, except it seems to have lost the tvplayer channels, most, not all of which were there previously. Maybe there was an update which made them vanish and i haven't figured how to get them included again.

Voice control works a treat..
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:45 am

The price is the reason many people prefer Firestick. Especially the 4K version when Amazon have their massive reduction days.
It is possible to side-load kodi onto it but it actually isn’t necessary. There is an alternative App Store called Aptoide TV where many Kodi type apps can be downloaded directly onto the Firestick, including Kodi.

A quick Google will put you in the right direction.

I too have noticed a slight change with the TVplayer because without a VPN or Smart DNS, it converts to Spanish channels but it is still possible to convert it back with the VPN on.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Don't have enought linespeed for 4k, nor do i have the audio through the tv, so i went with the lite version. I find app2fire is the simplest way to sideload apps, although it doesn't work for all. I'm guessing because my tablet is 64bit and the stick isn't. For example stremio wouldn't transfer from my tablet so had to use downloader to get it onto the stick.

No plans to put kodi onto it as it takes a lot of memory with thumbnails and i don't use it that often these days anyway. Viewing mostly netflix, prime, which with the stick i get with dolby audio unlike their respective android apps.

No issues with spanish on tvplayer, simply that its tvguide is no longer visible when i hit the guide button on the remote. Tried syncing sources but no tvplayer channels are found. Pluto and my5 are both there. Not a big issue really as i use tvmucho for live tv which has an epg.

Freeview app doesn't work either as it appears to require googleplay to function.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I wonder if the inclusion of live TV in the apps is for the preparation of a Freeview app. I don't tend to watch live TV often anyway but where it might come in useful will be to go back over the previous days TV to find interesting programmes i might have missed. Something that isn't possible in the TV Player app.
BTW, it is possible to put TV Mucho on the FireStick as well.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Yep, tvmucho was the first app i sideloaded since it is our main live tv source. However it's epg doesn't show when livetv button or icon is selected on the stick. Have to do a bit of googling to see if there's a way to force it to appear, or get tvplayer epg reincluded in the listing.

Don't get your freeview app comment as it's android app has been out for at least 12 months. However the epg is really tricky to navigate using a mouse as the timing of clicking the button as moving the mouse is critical..
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:53 pm

There is an Freeview App Fire TV TVs. Reading this, it is only for TVs with Fire TV as its smart TV service so we will have to wait and see if it will be available on all Fire sticks etc.
https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/ne ... tv-edition

Have you tried changing your time to UK time to see if that works for the EPG?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Must admit that i haven't tried setting the time to uk as it was working. I vaguely think that it went away when the stick was updated to the new gui. In the tvplayer app itself the epg is functioning and correct.

Worth a try tho.
Regards

Bob

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:13 pm

I've had Firestick's since they first came out but don't know much about them. I have noticed though that the storage is being used up fairly quickly. Does sideloading an app (whatever that is) save on space?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:41 pm

Nope. Sideloading simply allows you to install apps that aren't available to your stick on the amazon app store.
Regards

Bob

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:00 am

Ah, ok, thanks Bob