Best VPN for BBC Sounds downloads & iPlayer

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Best VPN for BBC Sounds downloads & iPlayer

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 pm

I think there might be a general problem with SmartyDNS's VPN. It's not working on the Firestick either, I have changed it to DNS and it is working fine now.
I changed the settings on the VPN app on my phone as per fyfin's instructions and It worked and started downloading programmes again. Try playing the program you want to download first then download as I'm getting more success doing that.

Downloading something first to a PC is not so easy with a Iphone, especially as I prefer not to install iTunes.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am

Hi,
Some light reading regarding BBC iPlayer and VPN's.................general info on why some work and others not.

https://www.reviewsfire.com/vpn/bbc-ipl ... rking-vpn/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Why use a VPN , as you can use the "get iplayer" programme for the PC and download radio and tv direct from iplayer...as get iplayer also gets around geoblocking...well at least it does for radio, have not tried it for ages for TV....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks SatandPCGuy - I've never hear of this programme. I'll have a look and see if I can find it on Google Play so that I can give it a try.
I'll also try again with Smarty as they tell me today that they have made some improvements!
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:27 pm

I think Get iPlayer is only available for computers so you still have to go through the download and transfer process. I did try it once but found it a bit cumbersome but it is free whereas the program I use has to be purchased to be of any real use?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi,
I've tried get-iplayer on a Linux system in the past but it didn't jump out as a recommend to "TV Members" on The Forum, as most would prefer a click and go type program/app........ :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Thanks - I certainly prefer an easy solution, preferably using an App on my Tablet. Until last week Smarty was doing a good job - I could download from Sounds and also get all the TV Apps - to stream or download where applicable. This has now changed and it's not working well for me - so that's why I'm looking for other suggestions. I think I may give Express a try and see what happens.
Thank you all so much for the suggestions and help.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:37 pm

I used to use Get_ Iplayer for radio stuff before it was possible to download directly to the phone. I seem to remember that for TV it was Geo blocked
I am able to download successfully with an odd combination of factors
If I use my router without a DNS set up, on its own or with the SmartyDNS app set to UK and Europe it doesn't work
If I use my other router with SmartDns settings without the app connected it doesn't work
However, If I have the Smarty app on my phone connected to the UK and Europe and use the router with the SmartDNS settings, it works every time.
No mater what I tried, I couldn't get any TV program to download onto my phone

But I can download tv programmes to my rather old Ipad which is handy because that's the one I occasionally download content onto when I fly somewhere.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:05 pm

fyfin wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 am I will raise a ticket with Smarty and see what they have to say. Unfortunately I persuaded my friend who is not tech minded that Smarty was one of the better ones and reasonably priced. Incidentally, they had a problem recently and sent out bills from 2014 to people who had taken out a trial, apologies followed but makes me wonder if they have a problem.
I'll see what they say.
Did you get any response from smartydns about the problem.
Asking as have found that using DNS iPlayer (and other uk tv apps) on Humax Freesat boxes are no longer working, although access to the same apps using the same router via phone and pc is fine. And using smartdnsproxy, it works fine.

I have raise a support ticket, but just wondering what they said in response to your ticket
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Satandpcguy - Over the last week I've had various communications from Smarty. Asking me to delete cookies, re-start, etc. Eventually they suggested I should delete the BBC Apps and re-download. I said I would not do this until I had watched everything that I had already downloaded. They then passed my ticket on to the "Techies" and they told me to try DNS again - as they had made improvements. It is now slightly better on Sounds downloads (which I use most) but I would still say it's hit and miss. When I queried why VPN had stopped working they told me that the BBC must have "made some changes" - but, as I said to them, it really seems too much of a coincidence that itv, Ch4 and Ch5 have all made this change on exactly the same day. My feeling is that they do not wish customers to use the VPN for streaming or downloading and I think it is Smarty that have made some change. They say this is not the case and that DNS will be better - However, I don't find that to be the case. I'm still not happy with the service provided now. (I use Smarty and not Smart)

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Satandpcguy, I never raised it as I tried it whilst I was about to and it worked. To be honest, it's been working ever since using dns. I haven't tried the vpn as it doesn't matter so long as one of them works.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Smarty has started playing up again. I just tried SuperVPN the free version and it worked right off. So, for how long??
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:45 am

Sampedrena, I hope you have managed to resolve your download problems. I don't know what your taste in drama is but I have just listened to this on Radio 4 Extra and it is excellent:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kn ... des/player

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks Beachcomber - I'll give it a try!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:47 pm

Funnily enough. I have just downloaded a couple of programmes onto my phone. I tried with Smarty VPN and it's still not working.

The combination that always works for me is Smart DNS VPN on my phone set to Hull but it must be used with the Smart DNS set up on the router.

sampedrena
Resident

Postby sampedrena » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 pm

I am also still having problems with Smarty (on a tablet) - VPN London, or 2 or 3 now won't work at all. Sometimes DNS will do the trick - but it's impossible to know whether it's going to do it or not! I keep clearing the cache, re-starting - all the usual stuff - and then sometimes it will do it but often it won't! I am not happy with how the service being provided works with BBC Sounds - and I am still looking for a better alternative. Express VPN might be what I try next - but I keep hoping Smarty will start to work again, as I only renewed in March for a year. I don't want to set anything up on the router - so I'm only left with Apps that I can use on the tablet, PC etc.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 pm

I know someone who paid for Nord and says it wasn't working for BBC iPlayer. I get the feeling they're all struggling and their fall back is they didn't promise it would.
The main reason we wanted it was for catch-up but we pay £35 for an annual subscription to some guys from Liverpool who call themselves Hippy TV and the service is next to none if you have a problem. Messenger message answered right away. We get every channel under the sun, including Spanish channels ( 175 of them) so we're not that bothered but if you want BBC sounds then you need the vpn. Problem is you can test it and it works and a week later it doesn't after you've paid for a year!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:11 pm

I only get a problem with downloading from BBC Sounds, and as per my work around above I can download stuff. SmartDNS always seems to work with everything else. I used to pay monthly but first Smarty offered me a yearly subscription for 13 euros then a few month later SmartDNS made a similar offer so I get both for under 30 euros a year and always have a backup.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:48 am

sampedrena wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 pm I am also still having problems with Smarty (on a tablet) - VPN London, or 2 or 3 now won't work at all. Sometimes DNS will do the trick - but it's impossible to know whether it's going to do it or not!
Raised a few tickets in the past week (as coul dnot get iPLayer to work on a router for use with a Humax Freesat box) with smartydns and got this back:

"BBC is not longer supported via VPN, as BBC has blocked our VPN servers.
It's accessible via SmartDNS only."
and
"Yes, in the past tickets we stated that London 2 was working, but BBC had a ban wave and it hit us as well, unfortunately.
So now, BBC is accessible via SmartDNS only."
But as you say it is a bit hit and miss. Works on some devices , not on others.

Smartydnsproxy seem to be OK.
And NORD VPN also no problems.