Mobile Phone - Data Speed

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Mobile Phone - Data Speed

Postby Granite » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:50 am

We live in the campo and rely on mobile networks. We have three lines with Masmovil, all showing 4G connectivity. One line for the last month has very slow data. The other two are excellent. If I move the problem sim card to another device the problem moves with the sim. We have been sent a replacement sim - same problem. Numerous discussions with Masmovil Customer Service. Going round in circles trying to resolve or understand why this problem occurs on the one line. Masmovil technical department are adamant from "what they can see" the line is functioning correctly.

I'm baffled - could it be a network issue unique to the particular number/sim - Orange / Yoigo that Masmovil cannot see?

Ant suggestions?

Thanks.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mobile Phone - Data Speed

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:09 pm

Do each SIM card connect to the same network provider?
Could be the case of two of them connecting to Orange and one of them connecting to Yoigo which might be a lot slower than Orange.
How do you test the speed?
Always in the same location?
Is the slow SIM set to 3G only?
I use the Speedcheck app which shows me the provider of the signal, signal strength, speed etc.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Thanks Gerry.

I was told the sims can connect to Yoigo or Orange depending on signal strength.

However, just ran Speedtest Ookla - interesting.

Sim 1 in a 4G wireless router - Yoigo.- very fast
Sim 2 in mobile Nokia 5 -LTE - Orange LTE and very very slow - often times out
Sim 3 in mobile Moto G7 plus - LTE Masmovil - fast but not as good as Yoigo. Masmovil is not a network provider but I assume covers Orange/Yoigo but which one is a secret?!

So it appears that the sims are configured to connect to specific networks at least as a preference otherwise they would all be using the same network?

Until now I have not been checking speed as google searches etc have been very fast.

Sim 2, the problem, may for some reason be on reduced speed as Orange LTE has in the past been good. Sim2 is set to 4G.

Which app are you using for speed tests/signal strengths?

Cheers

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:34 pm

As I said in my original reply:-
"I use the Speedcheck app which shows me the provider of the signal, signal strength, speed etc."
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:08 pm

OK Cheers

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:50 pm

To try to identify the problem, for a start, I would put each of the SIMs, in turn, into one of the phones and check to see which provider each one connects to and what is the download speed of each one.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:13 pm

Out of interest, what sort of speeds are you getting? With the right phone and connection they should be very high.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:34 pm

You would think that if the problem moves with the sim as you move it from phone to phone it has to be the sim card. I know you have a sim replacement but I would try another new sim card.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 pm

Update for info
Three sim cards all from Masmovil.
Sim 1 in a 4G wireless router - Yoigo.- very fast
Sim 2 in mobile Nokia 5 -LTE - Orange LTE and very very slow - often times out
Sim 3 in mobile Moto G7 plus - LTE Masmovil - fast but not as good as Yoigo. Masmovil is not a network provider but I assume covers Orange/Yoigo but which one is a secret?!

Used both Speedtest and Speedcheck apps on each sim whilst in in Moto G7 Plus. Note Masmovil used only the Orange network when they first started.

Sim 1 Network provider Yoigo which adds up as Masmovil sent a replacement sim when they joined with Yoigo. The APN has MNC 04 which is Yoigo. The other two sims were not moved to the Yoigo network. Results - Download 44Mbps Upload 5Mbps. Note with this sim in the TP Link 4G wireless router I get similar download speed but upload of 20Mbps.

Sim 2 (The problem) Network provider LTE Orange and on different test LTE Masmovil as displayed in test results. Ping9999! No results. On simple searches if I wait long enough I may get a result on the phone. APN MNC is 03 which is Orange.

Sim 3 Network Provider Masmovil LTE APN MNC 03 Orange. Download 65Mbps Upload 5Mbps.

Hopefully the second replacement sim will solve the problem!

What surprises/frustrates me is that Masmovil technical department say they cannot see a problem. Perhaps there is a technical reason for this.

Thanks for your comments.