Telefonica Land Lines

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Telefonica Land Lines

Postby Evaready » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pm

I have recently been told by a Telefonica engineer (in Catalunya, so I appreciate that it may be different in Andalusia) that from January 2021 Telefonica will no longer be maintaining land lines. I know they really don't like people having them in rural areas, but when the electricity goes down it often takes the mobile masks with it as well, leaving us with just the landline (and a very old non-electric telefonica telephone). They are trying to get us to sign up for a 4G phone (lovely, I am sure, until the electricity goes), but is there an alternative (we have satellite broadband which, equally, doesn't work without LX)? Has anyone else heard that they are winding down the land lines? Maybe it is just up here, but I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard about this. Many thanks.

Evaready

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Telefonica Land Lines

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:22 pm

Telefónica is installing fibre into some very remote locations and I doubt that it would go to this trouble and expense if the phasing out of landlines were on the horizon.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:51 pm

When you say remote locations Beach do you mean isolated houses in the campo, or remote hamlets? I know someone who said that fibre is being installed in their tiny hamlet, but there are areas of campo around here that have a few very ancient lines that I could imagine them saying are not worthwhile maintaining (from their point of view, not the customer's).

In our first house here we had to have a Telefonica radio phone as there was only one phone line coming up into the hills and it stopped way short of our house. Now we have no landline and when there's a powercut we lose our internet, and as there's hardly any mobile signal here at the best of times, the mobile isn't much good either.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Our first rural phone was an analogue TRAC but we got a proper landline about fifteen years ago. A neighbour about a kilometer down the lane towards the village now has fibre and we are also trying to get it but for us it is a little more complicated because our house is nearly a half a kilometer from the lane which borders our land.