TV with built in satellite receiver

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

TV with built in satellite receiver

Postby fyfin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:45 pm

I was helping an old lady whose husband died a year ago and she told me she had lost all her TV channels. I am always happy to help where I can and I had helped her before to tune in a Freesat box.

However, when I got there the box was disconnected and I couldn't figure out if she was using a Smart TV app to get the channels but she said it was coming from the dish.

I finally realised that the only coax cable connected was to the TV and it was a satellite signal. She then told me she had accidentally done a complete new install, so I did the same and selected the right options scanning Astra 19.2E, (it had the strongest signal and I couldn't see an option to scan more than one but I think 28.2E might have got more channels as I couldn't get C4 or C5).

Anyway she is happy as I edited channels so the ones she wanted are at the top 1,2,3,4 etc.

I never realised that Smart TVs with a built in satellite receiver existed and I've been trying to find one for sale but can't come across ut. The name on the back of her TV was EAC Electrical which is not helpful.

Has anyone else come across this and know models that have this facility?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: TV with built in satellite receiver

Postby satandpcguy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 am

Quite a lot of TVs these days have built in satellite receivers, and have done for a while.

By scanning 19east, the tv would scan its preset frequencies for that satellite...which will be why some UK channels may be missing.

"(it had the strongest signal)"...probably just the first frequency it used in its frequency list for 19 east was a nice strong one...you can use any satellite in the list, but the TV will simply scan whichever frequencies it has in its list for that satellite.... unless you turn on "network search" when it will update that frequency list with any new ones it finds on the satellite
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 am

Ah many thanks for that. She is so happy that I found any channels that she doesn't want me to do anything else lol
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 am

fyfin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:45 pm Has anyone else come across this and know models that have this facility?
My Hisense TV has satellite input but only single. I reverted to using my Humax with two inputs for the facility to record whilst watching another program. The program guide is also much better on the Humax/sat box.
Gerry

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 am

My Samsung TV also has the option.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 am

Silly question so feel free to get the guns out, the built in satellite receiver, would that pick up on Intelsat 907 as was, UK TV?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm

No as it would probably not have the ability to handle the encryption codes.

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Ta muchly, I thought the coding would render it impossible