Google Ads

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
pensure1988
Resident

Google Ads

Postby pensure1988 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:56 pm

How do I stop these annoying Google Ads appearing all the time on this webpage forum

Thank You

Davis

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Google Ads

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi pensure1988,
use an ad-blocker for your Browser...........

For Firefox.......... uBlock origin

Or you could go OTT and run your own DNS server..................and block what ever you want.............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Been using Brave browser on my tablet, phone and windows pc for a while now. Based on chrome code but vastly improved including ad, tracker, and script filters. Can also be set to force https connection and block 3rd party cookies.

Give it a try https://brave.com/
Regards

Bob

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi Bob,

Came across a quote of yours from Oct 2017.............."This incompatibility should be history especially since its been many years since IE was the defacto browser, "

I'm finding its creeping back recently........... Examples.........Vodafone with Firefox can only see some of the popup window when topping up, Edge/Chrome no problem. "Browser not supported"..........when using Firefox.............have to use Chrome on other sites.
Spanish Government sites only supporting some versions of Browsers..........etc.

Not so OTT.........."Or you could go OTT and run your own DNS server".........using a Raspberry pi and Pi-Hole ( £70 ) setup as a DNS server for the Network.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:26 pm

Become my default action now to start up Edge or whatever they call it now if a site doesn't work as expected with Brave/Chrome. Often that cures the problem. So much for open standards and RFCs

To add to the annoyance i'm finding quite a few spanish sites won't let me browse, or apps connect if i have a UK vpn connected.... Eg the app for my securitas alarm won't connect with active UK vpn. Disconnect, do the work, reconnect. But if I'm in the UK (or other places in the world) and so have an address for that country i have no issues.

So i guess now the workflow is can't connect, turn off vpn and try again. Popups etc don't appear start up edge...
Regards

Bob