UK mobile number in Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

UK mobile number in Spain

Postby olive » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:32 pm

For a long time we have kept a UK mobile on contract, primarily for family interests like a number carers can call us on if there is an issue with a family member. Or doing online banking for them to pay a one off bill to receive a code from the bank.

The contract has come to an end and we will now take out a new contract in Spain with Spanish number etc but still would like to keep the UK number. Perhaps with a dual SIM phone.

It will only be for incoming calls, occasional I/C texts and maybe a few responding texts. Phone calls, data, Whatsup,Facetime will all be on the new Spanish contract phone. Hope I have explained that well enough.

Has anyone done a similar thing? Which SIM only provider did you use? Did you go PAYG or contract? The number is with 3 but could be ported.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK mobile number in Spain

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:55 pm

I don't think you can have a UK mobile number using a Spanish service provider.
I would love to be proved wrong as I have to keep a UK mobile number, from a UK service provider, to satisfy the requirements of my UK Barclays bank mobile app.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi Gerry, I thought I might not have explained myself very well.

Like you I want a UK number from a UK provider. It will just be on a SIM in my dual sim handset (the other SIm will be my new Spanish contract with data etc). Or if the worst comes to the worst in a cheap none smart handset which I have.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:54 pm

OK.
I have a dual sim phone.
A Vodafone SIM from Vodafone Spain for my Spanish number and a Virgin media, UK SIM for my UK number.
It's a PAYG SIM which I need to use for a phone call or text message at least every 6 months to keep the number otherwise I lose the number.
This is typical on most phone service providers although with some, you have to use the number at least, every three months.
If you are going to get a UK SIM then it will need activating, in a phone in the UK.
I believe you are still in the UK at the moment so now is the time to get a UK SIM.
I got my son, in the UK to activate the SIM in his phone and then post it to me here in Spain.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi olive,

We , Mrs E and I (grammar police :?: ).......both use GiffGaff UK SIMs in Spanish Bq Dual SIM Phones.

I changed from EE (UK) as had no Signal in my location in Spain, GiffGaff gets better signal than the Vodafone Spanish SIM,

Both are PAYG.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 pm

gerryh wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:55 pm I don't think you can have a UK mobile number using a Spanish service provider.
I would love to be proved wrong as I have to keep a UK mobile number, from a UK service provider, to satisfy the requirements of my UK Barclays bank mobile app.
Cheers
Gerry
I only have a Spanish sim, but my Nationwide app works without any problems. Obviously it is not the same with Barclays, but seems rather strange at least until Brexit.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Both my NatWest and Halifax apps work in Spain. They will often send a message with a code to my Spanish mobile number at no extra charge to confirm it's me using the cards or accounts.
When I set up cards in my Apple wallet an automated call to my landline with the code is made.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Glad both of you are OK with your banks and a Spanish mobile number.
Unfortunately, Barclays will only work with a UK mobile number. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:50 pm

For me it is an issue with people not being able to dial a "foreign" number or the cost. That maybe an issue after 1st jan with roaming/Brexit. Who knows. If it is a carer ringing to say my dad has fallen etc I don't want barriers. Ditto online banking etc etc asks for a number and I have used the UK one.

As it turns out I was donated a UK vodaphone PAYG sim and basic phone as people had so much trouble contacting me . I sent a text to my brother that he received mangled. Unacceptable in this day and age and frankly I cannot explain how that can happen. You would have thought it would either work or not.

That SIM maybe my way forward using a magic dual sim in my iphone