Speed loss with a VPN router

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Speed loss with a VPN router

Postby mikewill » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am

Can anybody tell me what they think is an acceptable loss of speed when using a VPN router connected to my main router.
I have fiber, my speed without the VPN router connected is approx 200mb with the VPN router connected approx. 28mb, can anybody tell me if this is normal?
Thanks in advance

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Speed loss with a VPN router

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:51 am

VPNs can slow down your internet for various reasons and this is why many members opt for a DNS servers. The free ones tend to be the worst but I would imagine that as you have yours in your router, you are paying for it. There are other benefits to a VPN such as extra security. You do not tell us which VPN you are using and the reason why you need one. Most members use a DNS or VPN to access other countries' media content.

Here is a little more basic info.

https://www.t3.com/features/does-using- ... ion-speeds
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:13 am

Hi mikewill,
Sounds like a configuration issue.......have you disabled the dhcp in the VPN Router.

Please post make and model of VPN Router, which VPN server/Service are you using.

As Mark asked why are you using a VPN router :?: How is it connected to the Fibre Router.

It shouldn't drop anywhere near what you're seeing . Please post your full Network setup .

Some more light reading..................
https://www.cactusvpn.com/vpn/vpn-slow-down-internet/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi, Thanks for your reply's , I've got the feeling this is going to be right over my head .
The VPN router is connected to my main router by an ethernet cable
My subscription for the VPN router is to Liberty Shield
The name on the VPN router is MikroTik RouterBoard hap ac lite

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:08 pm

HI,

"I've got the feeling this is going to be right over my head ".........Not true........we can work through this together.

As they say in Exams........all questions must be answered fully.

"The VPN router is connected to my main router by an Ethernet cable" .....what ports are you using WAN LAN

What speed test are you using and to what server. this can throw up discrepancies.

I'll get back later......

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:47 pm

The VPN router to the main router is connected on the VPN " POE in on" ( this is the connection Liberty Shield told me to use ) this is connected to " Lan" on the main router... Hope this makes sense ?
The speed test I use is Ookla.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi mikewill,
Taken from Liberty Shield site...................

"VPN speed always slower than your ISP - Due to hardware and encryption overheads the VPN Router (Lite Model) has a download speed up to 30mbps and the VPN Router (Pro Model - Black Version) up to 90mbps. Please keep in mind that even an HD video stream only requires 5mbps approximately, so even with 10-20mbps download speed you should still be able to stream multiple HD video streams on your devices without buffering."

So your 28mbps sounds in spec.

Unless you're working for some National Security Agency :silent: I'd go for a Smart DNS solution if its only UK TV you're after.

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Thanks Enrique..
Originally I wanted to go down the DNS route but I'm not capable of installing it onto the router myself, I contact a couple of computer shops where I live to see if I could pay somebody to do it for me and they didn't know what I was talking about, that's why I thought a VPN router that I only needed to plug in would be the answer, I do need it to watch Uk TV ..

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi mikewill,

FYI:
If you have access to the Fibre Router username/password then its straight forward to put the DNS settings that your chosen Smart DNS provides.

Fire up their program and login to Validate, then you will be connected to their DNS Server . All Devices will then connect to this DNS.
You can do it on one Device only as well like the TV.

Still you're sorted now so enjoy...............