Vodafone SIM card for watching TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Vodafone SIM card for watching TV

Postby axarquian » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Hello all,

I am sitting here in the UK contemplating my return to Spain and wondering how I might reduce my internet costs. At present I am with Flexnet who provide me with a Vodafone SIM for my router, they charge 60 Euros a month for 300GB

Wondering how I might reduce this cost, and, having now discounted UK SIMs where 'fair usage' in the EU tends to be capped around 25GB I took a look at the Vodafone.es site. Here they have SIM only offers for unlimited data/minutes, 10mbps for 21.99 Euros pcm or superfast for 24.99 pcm for the 1st year (as the contract is just for a year I could leave just before the price shoots up).

My question is, am I allowed to use this SIM in a router to watch TV ? The advertising blurb seems to lean towards it being used in a phone however Vodafone do have a lot of routers on their site that take SIM's, are these 'special' SIMs or just phone SIMs. Any advice/opionion gratefully received plus any pointers to reduced internet costs.

Take care all.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vodafone SIM card for watching TV

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 pm

A SIM card is a SIM card and can be used in any device that accepts a SIM card.
I'm with Vodafone ES.
I pay €47 a month for a 4G in casa package.
All my devices run off 4G.
My 4G router has unlimited data and usually, 40-50 Mbps download speed.
My 4G mobile phone has 6G of data a month.
My 4G portable house phone has a landline number and 350SMS messages a month and unlimited free calls tp Spanish landlines and mobile phones.
This package is not advertised online, you need to go into a Vodafone shop and ask for it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:59 pm

I don't know about the T V thing, someone else may know the answer but I have an orange package with unlimited, internet unlimited msm's and 200 mins talk time, it varies by a few cents per month but roughly the same as Gerry.

As far as I'm aware you can buy tailored packages for the T V separate from the phone internet deal, you may be able to buy an all in one package, I'm very happy with orange !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:45 am

I am also looking at fibre internet. Fibre is in our street. I don't need phone or mobile just descent internet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Which is the best company to use a a reasonable price for my needs?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:22 am

O2 Spain offer good prices. 300mbs and mobile with 5 Gbs mobile for 38 Euros or 600mbs and 25 Gbs mobile for 50 euros.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:48 am

costakid wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:45 am I am also looking at fibre internet. Fibre is in our street. I don't need phone or mobile just descent internet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Which is the best company to use a a reasonable price for my needs?
Orange do an internet only package for around €25.00 pm, bear in mind that you can use the whatsapp facility via the internet for free calls on your cell phone thus reducing your phone bill.

You can also get a mobile router, smaller than a cellphone that you can literally carry around with you anywhere, this device also allows you to run several devices in your home at the same time, Voadaphone are selling a similar device Vodaphone R226 for around €40.00, you just upgrade the sim card, for around €25.00 p m when you need to, I've used this system also, it's very simple and you don't need to mess around with contracts just buy the device (a one time cost) and reload it whenever !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:14 am

Is this suitable for streaming the TV? Browsing and TV are all I need it for. My UK phone deal has everything I need for calling etc.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:49 pm

Hola

My Vodafone phone is about 50€ a month for unlimited data; I use the phone as a router but also have TV apps on the phone so I can see UK TV anytime

Davexf