Mesh wifi systems

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Mesh wifi systems

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:17 am

Looking at a 3-unit Linksys Mesh set-up to get coverage in a 3-storey townhouse - has anyone any experience of these and do they work well? At last there is the availability of 100Mbps Optical fibre in our street, so if I go down that route want to get the best from it!
Any recommendations of a reliable IPTV company with catch-up also appreciated.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mesh wifi systems

Postby Enrique » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi peteroldracer,
Markwilding is your man for Mesh, El Cid for Ethernet cables and me Powerline Extenders & Ethernet Cables.

It's going to depend on your environment so what works for the mentioned above might not work for you

Mesh relays the WiFi signal from Unit to Unit........so if your house is concrete with wire reinforcing it may work as a Faraday Cage so not good .

Ethernet ( Cat 5e or 6) would be the best bet as your Router could deliver Gigabit (1000) to any location. Downside is you need routes to run the Cables without upsetting the Mrs.

Powerline Extenders rely on good Mains cabling...........I've just put in Powerline extenders (had some in the Parts bin) in a largish Bungalow and they work really well ,the Router being at one end of the building and a "work" area at the other. Getting the contracted speeds at the router and the other end of the building via Powerline.

You could get Units on a try and return if they didn't work........Amazon :?:

If you want to get Techie down load a WiFi Monitor on your laptop and check out the signal strength in various areas in your house, if a floor up from the router gets a very weak signal then probably Mesh might not work. I use an old copy of InSSIDer to check things out.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Can't pretend to understand your technical posting Petroldracer, but I can recommend my IPTV supplier.
I use " BB4Spain ( Based in Algorrobo Costa)
I get 150+ channels / 2 week catchup on all the main ones.
I use a MAG250 box, so I get to record or download many of them.
Is this what you are looking for?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Its all about getting a decent WiFi signal around a house - nothing whatsoever to do with IPTV options.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks chaps - helpful as always. I had not thought about the amazon "try and return" although this seems a bit unethical. Running ethernet cable to the upper floors is not practical, and to be of most use would need a router to give wifi as well as internet, and there are no power sockets near the cable entries, hence the thought that Mesh may do it. I have powerline extenders but the drop in speed on the top floor is high. I do have Inssider, so maybe the way is to get the fibre in, test around the house and see if it works without help, or with the extenders, before getting in a mesh (pun intended).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:28 pm

How about getting the installers to connect the fibre cable (very thin) to their router on the second floor? They would just run it up the wall and drill into a room at that level. If you have a telephone point close they can wire in your phone system. Easy job as phone cables are thin and easy to run. If the coverage is not 100% on the other floors a couple of T-Link power line extenders will sort that.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:43 pm

Beg to differ Cid. OP asked for IPTV recommendations.
Gerry

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:52 pm

Quite right Gerry - as a secondary question. The fibre people up here offer an IPTV add-on, but no catch-up only “recording by USB” whatever that is. We have been thoroughly spoilt by 3 months in UK with all that Freeview offers, so seek catch-up and subtitles with a good set of channels, HD & SD.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:59 pm

I bought a cheap mesh system for 85 euros from Amazon which works well and was easy to setup with an app I downloaded from the Apple app store. I would imagine The Linskeys one would produce even better results.

As far as Internet Tv is concerned a i reckon a Firestick with a subscription to Netflix should give you everything. A quick Google will explain how to get Sport All the BBC, I TV and channel 4 channels are now live in their respective apps as well as TV player which offers some pay channels available on other platforms as well as the fact there are plenty of ways to watch TV series and Films free. Just Google it.

I have SKy but rarely watch anything but football or motorsports
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:10 pm

GerryinCajiz wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:43 pm Beg to differ Cid. OP asked for IPTV recommendations.
Yes, you're right. I missed that.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:15 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:52 pm The fibre people up here offer an IPTV add-on, but no catch-up only “recording by USB” whatever that is.
Normally you just attach a USB stick or disk into the receiver and you can record on to it. I have that on my I907 box. The biggest advantage is that you can pause what you are watching. If the software is up to it you can usually do timer recordings. Most IPTV systems have replay facilities built in.

Sid