TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

TV

Postby LifeofBrian » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if there is a good and trustworthy person who is capable of connecting up several tv's etc to our antenna and satellite dish. In the Velez Malaga area. Thanks all.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: TV

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Miles hitchcock of miles ahead is very good. Hes based in nerja but does travel.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Very much appreciate your reply. Thank you.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:43 pm

Help!! Probably going to make a change and switch to fibre. My iptv and internet has not been working well at all. Especially the tv. I have been told that if I switch to fibre all will be well. My iptv has a problem of buffering, freezing and suddenly switching channels as well as BBC1 going green sometimes. All a bit strange but after talking to lots of people who have been resident in Spain for some years it's all pretty normal unless you make the switch to fibre. So, thought I would ask on the Forum as I have had really helpful replies on other topics.

Any thoughts or helpful tips??

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 pm

I second the fibre vote...not really for the speed as if you have 5mbps you can stream anything....but for the reliability. Fibre doesn't drop the signal like my copper did.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 am

Thank you Paddy Pumpkin. It's the buffering, freezing and sudden change of channels that is so annoying. I shall probably go with your vote after careful monitoring this weekend. The reason I am going to monitor again this coming weekend is because my internet provider emailed to say he had made some adjustments his end and there is some improvement. I take your point though about reliability so we shall see. If I do make the change to fibre my next post would be to gather opinion on the best deals so if you have an opinion you feel comfortable posting up do please feel free. Thanks again.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 am

I use Movistar in 2 locations.....it works so I let sleeping dogs lie!

I installed this on my home computer. This internet connection monitor will alert you to failures in your internet connection and record their exact time and length. This info will help your internet provider troubleshoot the problem – after it helps you convince them it’s not your imagination!

The free version allows you to monitor 30 minutes at a time, then you just restart the test again for another 30 minutes. So I could see exactly what was going on. It's easy to use to just press start and it does the rest.

https://netuptimemonitor.com/

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am

What internet speed are you getting brian. Also the problem could be your iptv box if its not been updated, has a small amount of ram or is just generally old.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Thank you for your replies Paddy Pumpkin and elusive. With regard the internet speed, the chap came and tested the connection and said the parameters were okay so the speed should be 10-15mbps. They frequently make tweaks at their end and it does help but after a little while it reverts back. The iptv box is an Amiko 6. I had a previous box of the same type and they swapped it when I pressed them to do so as we had the problems. So, this box is also brand new. Just tried the tv and Gold is sticking and all manner of other things (sound out of sync etc) and also problems with the sky channels. It is really quite frustrating in a way. Not knowing if it's the box, channel provider or internet connection. Personally, I am persuaded that with fibre things would be much better. All I know really! Really appreciate that you both took the time reply.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Out of interest who is your IPTV provider ? I have much the same going on PM if you like.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Hi,
" so the speed should be 10-15mbps"......... but what are you getting. :?:

Run https://www.speedtest.net/

Also
Windows system
in the search box type cmd and run as Administrator

In the cmd window
type ping -n 100 8.8.8.8 this will send 100 packets to the Google DNS server should be 0% Loss

when that is finished
Type tracert 8.8.8.8 this will trace a route to the Google server

Type tracert www.google.com this will trace a route to the Google server and check DNS is working

all the listed times should be below 30ms mine are currently 13ms

Please Post back

Added:: had a play with Paddy.P's find......... netuptimemonitor seem to do what is says on the tin, compared well with two other ones, including a Chrome add-on that runs as long as you have chrome running.

Open Reach where obliging while I was running tests as they where working down the lane and the Internet was up and down. :angel:

Some modern Routers monitor the connection to the ISP............ and report disconnections Line up /Down Times...... the one I have does.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi Enrique,
Just did the speed test and the result is 11.96...does that help? When the chap came to the house he did say the speed was between 10-15 but even as he was saying it some channels were not working properly. I pointed this out and he said he did not know why! I am monitoring the tv over this weekend and mentioned to them that if things did not improve I would be changing to fibre (still have to find good provider) next week. They seem like good people and very helpful but the problem is persisting and has done for some while!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi,
What results did you get from the other tasks ......... just a summary will be ok if you're not into screen shots.

So from the Ping tests............. 0% is what we are looking for. What was yours :?:

from the tracert the hops should be under 30ms a * means timeout so not good.

Thanks

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Dear All, you have all been really lovely in trying to help with the tv problems. The difficulties simply will not go away so, being a simple person, I am going to go the fibre route unless something dramatic happens over the weekend. Fact is this has been going on for far too long. Everyone has tried everything to no avail so making the switch is the only option left. If the problem persists once I have made the change I will then change the channel provider too. Summary: new box, speed test is okay, problem is persisting, consensus seems to be with fibre...have to give it a go! So much appreciate the help offered and actually really appreciate this forum. I shall try to 'give back' on topics I know something about in due course! Keep safe and well and thank you all once again.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 am

Lifeofbrian you have a pm

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 am

LifeofBrian wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 pm Hi Enrique,
Just did the speed test and the result is 11.96...does that help? When the chap came to the house he did say the speed was between 10-15 but even as he was saying it some channels were not working properly. I pointed this out and he said he did not know why! I am monitoring the tv over this weekend and mentioned to them that if things did not improve I would be changing to fibre (still have to find good provider) next week. They seem like good people and very helpful but the problem is persisting and has done for some while!
Also look at the result for jitter. Too high will effect your stream quality aswell. Ideally should be a few milliseconds, if it's in the tens of milliseconds then could cause problems.
Regards

Bob

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am

I would advise to try the Net uptime monitor

A speed test is a snapshot from that moment in time. The speed can fluctuate and the connection can cut momentarily. Unless you are testing the speed at exactly that moment you are not getting all the information

The monitor measures it for half an hour at a time and gives you a print out of when the connection didn't work. That way you don't miss any dropouts.

Either way they are only diagnostic tools....they don't solve the problem. I would switch to fibre anyway even if I had a functioning copper connection. As we use more and more data fibre will the only way forwards and you won't be able to take advantage of those advances. Once you get fibre then use the uptime monitor to make sure you have a good service and that the supplier is delivering what they promised.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi,
Net uptime monitor will only show if there are any line drops, not the line quality, hence my request for information in my above posts.
Had hoped the OP would have responded with the information .