Another Benefit lost due to Brexit

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Another Benefit lost due to Brexit

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:05 pm

I notice that sky does not work any more without a VPN or DNS outside the UK. It should have started tomorrow but it seems they brought it forward.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/viewi ... ortability

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Another Benefit lost due to Brexit

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:04 pm

Will people get any English speaking chanels in Andalucia on their tv? If so what are they.?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:20 pm

Sky Go is only available outside the UK on a temporary basis anyway. If you did not access the service from the UK within a certain period, access was denied.

I use Sky Go via a DNS service with no problems.

I also use Intelsat for all the main UK channels via satellite with no VPN or DNS. Brexit will not affect that.

Many of the IPTV services are now being closed down, but again that is not a Brexit issue - it’s just illegal.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:39 pm

I was thinking about those who travel to countries in the EU from the UK. They don’t tend to use VPNs.
From a personal perspective, I will just have to make sure my VPN is connected while watching football when not at home. As you say, a minor inconvenience for us.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:40 am

Under EU Portability rules, SkyGO (Britbox, Amazon Prime UK, etc) was available for a limited number of days (32 days IIRC) without the need for a VPN / SDNS service.
Once that time limit has been reached, you needed to log into the account via a UK IP address (either someone inthe uk , or via VPN / SDNS service)
Now the UK is no longer in the EU, this portability rule no longer applies (in the same way the EU data roaming rule no longer applies to UK operators
And so you will need to use a VPN / SDNS to access such UK online content.

And it appears some VPNs have been "found out" and are now being blocked, I think ITV have hit a number of VPNs / SDNS services recently...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:48 pm

Data roaming will continue for now and more than likely for ever as the phone companies have made an agreement between all the big players.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:32 pm

All the UK broadcasters have been blocking VPNs for ages when they identify them but the VPN providers rapidly set up new ones. From my experience Smart DNS providers are only occasionally caught out. Some are safer than others. SmartDNS Proxy has been stable for some time and SmartyDNS seems OK now after a few glitches in the past. I don’t like VPNs as they are more difficult to set up and usually require special routers. Smart DNS is easier to set up and can easily be set up in the device itself.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:37 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:04 pm Will people get any English speaking chanels in Andalucia on their tv? If so what are they.?

I think Orange have a package which offers B B C and some other English speaking channels, won't be cheap though !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:48 pm

For the main UK channels Intelsat is still the best option.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm

Been using tvmucho for a couple of years. No vpn/dns required, has the main uk channels and the streams play pretty much faultlessly. Other options which are free include tvplayer or freeview, both of which require vpn/dns but also work well. However they may get blocked and rely on iplayer, itvhub etc for the main channels.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:15 pm

With Intelsat and the right receiver box, the main advantage is a superb HD quality picture which is better than any of the streaming services except Netflix and Amazon which are available in 4K. Also, with the right box, there is an EPG which you can use to set up recordings across all the channels at the same time.

The only cost is the dish and box. No monthly charges. You are limited in sports channels as no access to Sky or BT.

Sid