UPS back up protection

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

UPS back up protection

Postby olive » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:34 pm

I have given myself the New Year task of updating our TV and desktops back up protection.

The sort of power cuts I want to protect against are the very short ones. These occur almost daily and usually at specific times. Crucially lasting only approx a second. We do occasionally get longer outages five minutes maybe thirty minutes especially in storms or windy weather. I don't expect or need to size equipment to cope with that. Maybe being able to shut down a desktop would be nice but they regularly get "offed" unexpectedly and haven't blown up. (maybe I have been lucky).

I currently have a motley collection of UPS's. A big belkin which despite having a new battery doesn't work. Two small cool boxes. One of which failed - might have been the battery went faulty. I threw it away today. They are annoyingly loud while the power is off. I need UPS without sound or you can disable sound. It is after all pretty obvious when the power is off. Enrique advises Salicru are a good brand with disable sound feature. So I will go with those.

Sizing. I did some research but decided to ask what other folk use?

for a typical :

Smart TV (57watts), a 907 and a Movistar set top box. DVD player

Win10 desktop and screen , router

Do you for example size yours so that if the power outage looks as though it is longer than 30 seconds you can switch your TV off before the UPS dies?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: UPS back up protection

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:53 pm

I use Salicru PSUs. I prefer online to line interactive but they are rather more expensive. There is a Salicru distributor in Málaga but check the prices with APP Informatica. Their prices can be significantly lower.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi olive,
Salicru SPS ONE 900va .............

Example:: current load level 22% backup run time 25 mins.
Systems running on this one Custom built PC 4x HDD's, 2x 24" monitors , 2x single board servers.

I use one for the Router , DNS Server and Camera, that one only shows 2% load , have another on a Camera, bit OTT but I need to monitor the cat.

I recently bought 2 for UK ...... you can tell from the Model number the year of Manufacture, The ones I bought in Spain were "fresher", manufactured in year of purchase, the UK ones could be up to 2 years old, Battery life is around 3-4 years, easy to change and circa €25 for Branded ones.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:32 pm

For my TV and audio system I use a big Salicru with 2 batteries. It will keep it all running for some time, but if the power goes, which is usually for a short time, I turn the TV off as that takes most of the power. I have a small UPS for the router and telephone and another small one on my Windows desktop. My Apple iMac is not using a UPS because they do not like a UPS unless it is a very expensive one with really clean power.

Using the UPS on the router and a WiFi access point on the TV UPS means that most of the house network still works OK.

I buy the batteries online for about €10.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:47 am

Another big advantage of running the tv via a ups is that when the power goes off in the evening you aren't immediately plunged into complete darkness as the screen stays on. No groping around in the dark for a torch.
Regards

Bob

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:16 am

Thanks for the replies. I will go for the one. As far as I can see the more expensive version of the 900 has monitoring. Haven’t the time or inclination to do that. They key thing for me is silence ( no manic beeping for example) when power goes off. Is that easy to achieve? .

Also available on Amazon.es butt app informatica is a great site.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Hi olive,

Windows 10 ver 20H2

The ViewPower software from Salicru site can have issues.

After the initial install , Login to the Administrator account password administrator and set the Bleep off, pull the power to the UPS and test it's off.

When you Reboot system Viewpower my not startup................have seem this on two systems...........currently looking for a solution.

:idea: Update:: :idea: If you get issues with the above version, get a later version from https://powerwalker.com/?page=viewpower&lang=en

this one comes up after a reboot.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.