4G Connectivity Puzzle

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

4G Connectivity Puzzle

Postby Granite » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:50 pm

We have 3 Masmovil sim cards, two in android phones and one in a 3/4g TP Link wireless router normally used by a desktop pc using Linux Mint OS/Firefox browser and a Chromebook. For several years we have been using the 4G network with typically download speeds of 60mbps and uploads 15mbps. Four days ago all three sim cards developed problems connecting to some internet sites. Speed test showed download 60mbps, upload 0 mbps. Strangely if the desktop pc used Windows 8 OS/Firefox/Chrome there was no problem - upload speeds of 15mbps.

If I limit the two android phones and the router to 3G there is no problem.

I contacted Masmovil and they sent new sim cards which made no difference.

Whilst there does appear to be a low signal strength on 4G -110dBM compared to 3G -80dBM I don't understand why on 4G there was no problem when using the Windows OS.

Could this be a network problem - Yoigo/Orange and something involving security/handshake SSL "stuff" limited to the 4G connection or simply a signal strength problem?

Any advice welcomed. I suppose not a big issue as I can restrict usage to 3G but nonetheless it would be nice to understand what the problem is.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: 4G Connectivity Puzzle

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:06 pm

Hi Granite,
Sounds like you have repeat problem from last June....... :?:

Have you used tracert (Windows) and traceroute (Linux Mint) you may need to install on the Mint system.

Compare the traces to 8.8.8.8 on all the systems and see the paths they take and the times.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks Enrique,
Problem last year was limited to one phone/sim only. Low speed was due to the data allowance being exceeded one month which should have cleared when additional data was added. Furthermore it should have cleared the following month when a new payment period started. Neither happened and it took Masmovil 2 months to resolve the problem.

Current problem is that all three sim cards developed a data download problem at the same time on 4G/LTE - not able to connect to some websites. I do not get an SSL Certificate failure from these sites, they just fail to connect. No problem if the three sims are restricted to 3G only.

I will try your suggestion - thanks. My Widows OS is 8.0 and could not be upgraded as it was a "volume licensing" version. It has not been updated for years and results running tracert, which I need to google search and understand, may be spurious?

I am now suspecting that the problem may be the result of tree felling on the opposite side of our house from where the signal we have used for the last 10 years comes from. Our house is in the campo on the side of a hill with many trees - fewer now! This may have resulted in our devices seeing signals of sufficient strength from other sources. Why the devices might be selecting a 4G signal that is weaker I do not know but that is my theory on a subject I know nothing about!! Certainly the tree felling and problem occurred at the same time.

I am in discussion with Masmovil on the problem and their initial response is that it's a signal strength issue.

Thanks again for your suggestion. I will update you on any development other than restricting all the devices to 3G when in the house.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi Granite,
Some light reading on tracert (Windows) and traceroute (linux)...............

https://support.n4l.co.nz/s/article/How ... Traceroute

My Networks show 4 - 5 hops through my ISP's and have shown long delays here when the Network goes slow, typical times will be in the region of 20 - 40ms or faster.

Currently I'm showing 12 - 15 ms on all the hops (9). This is a wire based ( OpenReach) Network

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:28 pm

Thanks Enrique,

I shall read and play.

I presume one is in the hands of the ISP and whilst the cause of a connection problem may be identified there is nothing you can do about it.

Cheers

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 am

Hi Granite,
If you can identify the cause of the problem ie in the ISP's court then it's time to give them a shout.