Satellite/Android Hybrid Receiver

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
fyfin
Resident

Satellite/Android Hybrid Receiver

Postby fyfin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 pm

Under instruction from my wife to reduce the equipment under the TV, I have dispensed with the Gigablue Quad Plus which I had since 2015, when Sky signals could be decoded ( I know it was dodgy and I was a naughty boy lol). However, it then became a very expensive satellite receiver and too complicated for me so I've sold it. I also have an android box and the TV itself is a Samsung Smart TV.
I found a box called a GTMEDIA GTC which receives the satellite signal and also has the android system built in with the usual apps including Google Playstore. It does the job reasonably well but has not been updated and is running Android 6.0 which seems to cause a problem with some apps.
My question really is for any techies out there who have a similar box that combines both satellite input and android system, maybe more up-to-date.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Satellite/Android Hybrid Receiver

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:38 pm

The Satellite side of things I can't help you with but many members have an Amazon fire stick which if bought at the right time can be had for around 40 Euros. Your wife will be happy as it can't been seen because it looks like a pen drive so slots in behind the TV. Kodi and and other little apps, for which people buy an Android box for ,can be downloaded from the alternative android store if they are not available from the Amazon store. The remote is much better as well and will control the basic TV functions as well.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:05 pm

Do you use the Intelsat i907 satellite? If not, which one?

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:15 am

Kodi is outdated and slow. Much better viewing systems out there now.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:09 am

Agree with that.. Kodi takes ages to start up cheking for new shows, updates, media files etc. Find that i have been using it less and less in favour of netflix and prime. One great feature though is that configured correctly it will notify you when a new series of something you are watching is released. Netflix and prime on the other hand give you no clue (as far as i can tell)
Regards

Bob

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:57 am

The dish is a 1.9 mtr dish pointing to 19.2 deg E and where it is positioned can't really point in other directions. I pick up the Freesat channels on Astra so no problem with BBC/ ITV etc, good reception. The android box is just a cheapie and again works very well with various apps. Firesticks are similar to android boxes and I really prefer the android system, probably because I'm used to it. I can get catch-up using BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub and a free vpn (SuperVPN) which is so far working brilliantly compared to the ones I had actually paid for previously.
The problem arose really because I was trying to make things easier for my wife, who was never sure, which control or which mouse or indeed which input to use, hence the one box does all.
Knowing which words to use when yous search for something is the key and since my post I decided to have another search and found another box with a more up-to-date android version. I couldn't resist ordering as it wasn't expensive but haven't told my wife lol.
It's probably of no interest but here is the link
https://www.powerplanetonline.com/hybri ... r-satelite?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:34 pm

I didn't know that you could get Freesat channels on 19.2E. I thought they were on the "Sky" satellite at 28.2E. I get them on i907.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:26 pm

That is interesting. I definitely only scanned 19.2 deg E. I might try an experiment and scan 28.2 E but if I picked them up on 19.2E then that must be the direction the dish is pointing or is it?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:43 pm

According to Lyngsat, they are not on 19.2E. so I'm not sure why you are getting them. They are almost impossible to get across most of Andalucia but where you are just about creeps into the footprint for Sky on 28.2E.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:18 pm

When we were all getting brilliant freeview on the CDS my friends in Alicante could get nothing. Since we lost everything a few years ago Alicante now get all the TV. Turre is in the middle of the two so I guess they may be able to receive some channels.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Weirdly I am getting channels from both. I just did a rescan (losing my favourites I had already set up) and am surprised I was receiving channels from both. I even selected satellites in between and got a few extra foreign channels.
I always thought that with digital signals it had to be set up precisely but obviously I was a wrong.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 pm

I can say for certain that you are not picking up English freesat chans from Astra at 19.2 east, they are not on there.
You say you have done a re-scan and are receiving some foreign chans? Post a list of a few of them with their frequency and I will tell you which satellite you are receiving them from.
I would presume that you have a fixed dish pointing at 28east? by choosing another satellite from your receiver menu (unless the dish is motorised) You may well be picking up a few other chans that are on nearby satellites either side ie 26east or 30.5 east that use the same frequency, polarity and symbol rate as some transponders stored in your receiver for 19.2 east.