Losing spanish sim

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
ashtondav
Resident

Losing spanish sim

Postby ashtondav » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:49 am

Not been out since end November. My wife has already had her sim terminated as she missed the message a few weeks ago telling her to top up. I am now afraid I will lose mine. I have tried going to Vodafone.es and the mivodafone app but both collapse after the top up number and amount are entered. This has happened at every attempt over the last two weeks..

Is my only option to ask a resident to do a top up at a bank machine, or a shop?

I must admit I thought it was non use for 6 months but it must also be a certain balance for x months.

Not very good customer service given a global pandemic, lockdown and border closures.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Losing spanish sim

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:55 am

Hi ashtondav,

Use https://vodafone.topup.com/buy/mobile_recharge

They take a small fee

The official site doesn't work correctly.
Last edited by Enrique on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Are you trying to top up by just using your phone number?

Do you have an online account with them? Just a login and password where you can see your balance and usage etc? Have you tried topping up with VPN switched on to put your location in Spain? Also is the payme t method a Spanish card?

If not give it a go with account login and/or VPN and try Spanish card. Don't know about Vodafone, but this has solved issues I have had with things in Spain...especially the Spanish card

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi,
I've just topped up using the link I posted......... thanks Dav for the reminder......... :-)

Done from UK with no VPN.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:01 pm

Thanks all. I’m always amazed that “global” companies such as Vodafone do not think or act “global”.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:47 am

I lost mine through no top up not because of non use. I went into Vodafone to try to retrieve the number as it was not allocated to anyone and my only option was to take on a 2 year contract but if staying on PAYG I would need to get a new number. I have had my number 25 years so not impressed. I told them to forget it and now use my UK mobile only. Most delivery drivers have whatsapp calling so now its not so much of a problem as in the old days when you needed a Spanish number.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:04 pm

I was just coming to post about this after logging into the Mi Orange app and seeing a notification that they were going to start deactivating any numbers that hadn't been topped up in the 6 months. It used to be that I only had to send a message or something to keep it alive but it seems this change came in in November 2020. I hadn't topped up since June, so caught this just in time! My partner lost her Yoigo number over the summer.

Anyone wishing to top-up Orange with UK credit cards etc can use: https://topup.orange.com/ it's run by Orange, so no extra fees. The confirmation text when I recharged (just 5€) included the message that my line had been extended by 6 months, which I'd never seen before.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:05 pm

Back in November 2016 my Yoigo SIM got blocked. Although I had a balance I hadn't topped up since December 2015 :oops:. Now I chose Yoigo because I had read on some comparision site that providing you had a balance they wouldn't do that. Anyway I sent a grovelling email to Clientes and got the SIM unblocked and reloaded whilst keeping the number. They also drew my attention to their T&C's which did state this condition so I got off lightly...

Saludos