Desktop - Install Windows 10 Home.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Desktop - Install Windows 10 Home.

Postby Granite » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:11 pm

My 8 year old desktop purchased in Spain came with Windows 8.0, OEM volume license and could not be upgraded to Windows 8.1. Later I installed Linux Mint and currently have a dual boot system. I would now like to install Windows 10 Home in a new partition on the HD and remove Windows 8.0 whilst retaining Linux Mint. I could leave Windows 8 where it is as I have 156GB of free HD space. Is this a task only to be undertaken by an "expert" or an interesting challenge for an "average" PC user. From the research I have done there do appear to be potential pitfalls!

A general question - are there language issues with OS/License when downloading here in Spain as it appears that a default to Spanish can be a problem?
I am presuming my starting point is to obtain a license and download an ISO file for Windows 10.

Advice and comments gratefully received.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Desktop - Install Windows 10 Home.

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:18 pm

You can download win 10 from microsoft themselves now, you just need to buy a code. But then win 8 is upgradeable for free i believe, so you can use your win 8 code.

I did it for the first time the other week, until recently ive been on xp ! I was amazed how fast and easy they have made it. And it starts up in seconds, even on my cheap second hand machine with 2gb of ram.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you have said. My win 8.0 installation is Spanish with a language pack added. It came with no license/key . I had loads of problems and noted that the diagnostic/recovery programmes were in Spanish. I subsequently installed Linux Mint (excellent OS) alongside win 8.0 and had a dual boot system. I think downloading win 10 whilst in win 8 may result in default to Spanish version of OS, albeit I can change the display language. I think I can download the ms media creation tool when in Linux and with a license/key create a bootable win10 USB, remove win 8.0 and install win10. Reading ubuntu forums suggest installing win after linux mint may challenge my brain, perhaps not a bad thing. To be frank this is more of a project that I may not pursue. If I do and it all goes pear shaped I can reinstall mint after Win 10 is on the machine.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Hi Granite,
Sorry for my tardy reply, I missed your original Post...........whoops......... :oops:

I'd put you in the "above average user class "........... dual booting....... and linux :D

I'll get back a bit later with some options for you to look at.............. :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:04 pm

I am also a linux mint user - i 'upgraded' my dell inspiron 1150 - its a much quicker OS than windows on that old machine, even tho i upgraded the ram.

As for your win 10 desktop - i downloaded win 10 from MS onto a USB (cos i did it at work one day) and then when i was installing it on my pc at home it asked me what language.

As for your issues - i would be tempted to leave those alone, and grab a new hd (€30-pccomponentes etc) to install win 10 on - and then still have access to all your files on the win 8 / linux drive.

But im sure Enrique will be back soon, hes probably the better person to ask.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi Granite,
Some questions........... :?:
1) Did you install Linux Mint alongside Windows or in a separate Partition.
2) What was the problem upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1.

Summary of things that will be needed........ I'll email you (please PM your email address) a detailed procedure for your project if you want to proceed.

Summary::

Image Backup of the whole Disk using Macrium Reflect Free to an external USB HDD.
Remove the Grub Boot Manager so the Windows 8 is the only system booting.
Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and create a .ISO on the Windows 8 system and a USB stick
Mount the .ISO file and using Setup.exe Upgrade the Windows 8 system.........word on the street it should use the BIOS stored License.
If this fails you will need to buy a License. So best to do a clean install as below with the USB
If you get an Activated License after the Upgrade.......... Boot the USB and do a clean Install of Windows 10 using the whole disk
The License is stored at MS so will Activate on the New Install.
Now Partition the HDD for the Linux system
Install Linux into this new Partition........... at the end it will setup the Dual Boot Grub Boot Manager.

There other ways to do this , I'd be interested in Members ideas.

Have Fun.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi Enrique,

Thanks for your detailed reply

Your questions:

1) A separate partition is where it was put by the installation disc I created. From the Disks App in Linux, the 500GB HD includes under "Volumes" File System Partition 5 178GB Ext4 Partition Type Linux.

2) Upgrading from Win 8.0 to 8.1. Note, my system is Windows 8.0 Pro. When I tried to upgrade several years ago via internet, following the system check I got a message to the effect that it was not possible as my particular system was installed using Volume Licensing/OEM ?? (can't remember exact wording) but that if I took the machine back to my supplier he may be able to do it. I never explored that option. I think Win 8.0 Pro version did have a free upgrade issue.

Do I want to proceed with the "project"?? Probably. I have on my desktop Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia, and on my 1998 Dell Inspiron 1501 (circa 2007) 19.1 xfce 64bit. Both work really well for my needs so why dip into Win 10?? Because it is there, a bit like a mountain and I fancy exploring it!! The main issue I have with Win 10 is the update process that users seem to be subjected to in an uncontrolled way - I have no landline and rely on wireless i.e. a monthly metered connection. Any suggestion on a typical data allowance for these?

Hi spanish_lad,

I suppose that could be a pragmatic low risk/less hassle option particularly if I need to buy a new license. Thanks for the suggestion.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi Granite,
Have sent you some info via PM.......things to get you started.

Remember when upgrading if you have Windows Pro you have to upgrade using Windows Pro, if Home then use Home.