internet technical help needed

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

internet technical help needed

Postby snorbs » Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm

i am not a tech expert but am ok with the basics
i have a samsung tv which i used for uk tv apps and amazon firestick which i used for spanish apps
it always worked fine
i dont know how to chnage anything on my router so always used manual uk dns on the tv and automatic connection for the firestick
all of a sudden today none of my spanish apps work anymore its like i am in the uk - eg DAZN i get the uk version instead of spanish, movistar etc wont work
i have even switched over the devices so spanish apps are now on the tv and dns settings on tv set to automatic and still the problem persisits
i am pulling out the small amount of hair i have any ideas really appreciated

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: internet technical help needed

Postby El Cid » Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 pm

If you are using a Smart DNS service sometimes the servers they use get compromised and no longer work. First thing to do is get in touch with them and check the DNS servers they now use.

Sid

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm

i am not using smart dns for spanish apps and those are the ones i cant use
its like something has changed in my router or someting like this but we havent chgnaged anything
have lost access to all spanish catch up plus movistr lite and DAZN

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi snobs,
Put the config back to your original settings......
Then Power down the router and the other devices............then power up Router first then the other devices.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 am

not sure what I need to put back to original settings?
if its the router i dont know how to do this

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 12, 2021 7:57 am

Good morning snorbs,
From your first post you said you changed your settings and in still didn't work..........so put the settings back (to how they where when it was working) and then do procedure in my Post.

Putting DNS settings into the Router is easier than faffing around doing it on the TV.........
Basic..... login to Router -> find WiFi settings from Menu and look for Primary DNS and Secondary DNS

If you Post Make and Model of Router I can dig out exact procedure...........

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Wed May 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi Enrique I have tried the above with no luck.
i am trying to get help from Avatel my ISP.
I think to login to the router i need an admin code and password?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi snorbs,

" think to login to the router i need an admin code and password?..........correct, it may have that info on underside of Router.

You may need to get this info from ISP.

Depending how the Network is setup..... common IP's for the Router are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 put into your Browser and the login page could come up...... the username/password admin admin is a common login.

You could dip your toe into my world and bring up a CMD window from your Laptop and type ipconfig this will display your Gateway which is the Router IP

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed May 12, 2021 9:31 pm

Snorbs, just a question, I'm with Avatel, I have the Huawei fibre router (the one with the TV RF connector for their World TV service), but I cannot access the DNS settings in it, the Avatel tech people told me to just use a second router for the smart DNS settings which I did.
Everything worked fine.

I did have a problem a few years back when all my devices failed to work on UKTV stuff. I contacted smartDNS proxy and they said the problem was with my provider, for the life of me I can't remember what they said it was, but I contacted Avatel forwarded on the info to them and it was corrected in a few minutes, never had a problem since.

As an aside at least with Avatel the IP address doesn't change after a reboot so no need to reactivate the IP, unlike when I had movistar :thumbup: .

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu May 13, 2021 2:30 am

hi northandsouth, yes I have the same router as you say.
i have always input smart dns settings into devices rather than a second router. the UK apps continue to work fine with dns settings manually input into firestick or samsung smart tv.
its the Spanish apps that dont work on any of my devices as of start of this week (previously all fine and we didn't change anything) - obviously i dont have smart dns settings active on whichever device i am trying to use those apps on.
if i switch to my 4g connection on phone the Spanish apps work fine which must mean its some kind of issue with my avatel internet but so far not making much progress with them.
i have tried most basic things like restarting and resetting router and devices etc.
lets see what today brings, i will chase them this morning

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu May 13, 2021 6:32 am

Aha right, got you, I was up the wrong tree. Good luck.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu May 13, 2021 7:10 am

Ah right sorry I was up the wrong tree. I've always found Avatel easy to deal with and pretty good at sorting issues Good luck :thumbup:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 pm

I have only just seen this thread and it sounds like you have a similar Smart TV set up as me. As far as I see it, it is very difficult to get DAZN working on the Fire Stick while using a Smart DNS or VPN. My ISP router doesn't allow me to change the DNS settings so I have always used two routers.

I use the router with no smart DNS settings to connect for the fire stick which allows me to watch DAZN but I have the Smartydns VPN app installed to give me access to UK TV should I need it.

What does work though with the DNS active is the new DAZN app for Samsung TV, Have you tried that?

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Fri May 14, 2021 2:15 am

hi mark, DAZN (and all the other Spanish apps Movistar lite, atres player etc) worked fine on either my fire stick, Samsung smart tv or ipad up till last weekend.
Obviously whichever device i was using was not having smart dns settings configured.
My router doesn't allow me to change the settings and my issue is that since this week Spanish appps wont work on any of my devices connected either by cable to router or using wifi.
If i turn router off and use 4g on my mobile all the apps work fine.
My isp provider avatel cannot seem to solve this really frustrating issue
I dont have a VPN and have always configured dns settings in whichever device I was using to access UK apps and up till now never had any problems like this

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 14, 2021 8:42 am

The same happens with my Firestick depending if I am using the router with the Firestick or without it.

In the Live TV section I get Spanish TV with no DNS and UK Tv listings if I connect to the Mesh routers which have the DNS settings.
In theory, when using a DNS, it should not make any difference but in both our cases it does.

As the only programme I occasionally watch is Vascos or españoles in el mundo, it is not really an issue for me. My workaround it is the two routers, which I would assume means the DNS company is who you should be speaking to for a different solution.

Before that though, you could try going into the Amazon DNS settings and use the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4. to see if that overrides the Smart DNS settings in the router

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Fri May 14, 2021 9:51 am

hi mark , yes i have tried the google dns in all my devices , it doesn't solve the issue. we do use spanish apps quite often (my wife is spanish) but those spanish apps (movistar lite, DAZN and atresplayer) worked fine on all devices previously and i only have smart dns settings in one device (firestick) with uk apps. the uk apps continue to work fine.
i spoke to smart dns who are my DNS provider and they told me that having the dns configured only in my firestck would not impact an of my other devices

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am

Hi snorbs,
What devices are you running the Spanish Apps on.......Windows Laptop........ :?:

What error messages if any are you getting when trying to run the Apps........... :?:

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Fri May 14, 2021 10:29 am

hi enrique, have tried the apps on laptop windows 10, samsung smart hub, ipad and iphone
DAZN takes me to the UK version of the app, movistar lite gives a message that its unable to reproduce the content and atresplayer i cant remember exactly but it doesnt work either.
same result if connected via cable to router or wifi. if i use 4g all the apps work fine

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 14, 2021 10:38 am

There seems to be some defences then because I also have the Spanish Apps on my Firestick and can watch Atres player using both routers
What changes on mine is Live TV, For example the TV player app changes from English channels to Spanish depending which router I use.
I don't have Movistar so I can't comment on that one. No matter which router I use I always get the Spanish Amazon Prime
A couple of questions
Are you in Spain?
Have you rebooted the Firestick after resetting the DNS settings?

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Fri May 14, 2021 10:40 am

yes i am in spain. i have rebooted router and devices several times.