internet technical help needed

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: internet technical help needed

Postby snorbs » Tue May 18, 2021 7:21 am

I am totally puzzled as to why a Spanish based ISP might be giving me a Gibraltar based IP address but I need to solve this one way or another.

If i take up a VPN service would this solve the issue ?
Can i then share the VPN set up from a laptop to a Samsung tv?
The Avatel router doesnt allow you to configure VPN or DNS settings I believe.

Alternatively I switch to the only other FIBRE provider in my area Olivenet (same as my neighbours which worked for the Spanish apps last night) but lose all the reasonably good quality TV channels received with Avatel

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 18, 2021 10:39 am

Hi snorbs,
Should you get to speak to Avatel........... ask if they changed from a Spanish IP to the Gib one on the day you lost your service.

1) "Can i then share the VPN set up from a laptop to a Samsung tv"........VPN will only work on the device it has been setup on unless you configure it into the Router. DAZN also blocks VPN's

2) "The Avatel router doesnt allow you to configure VPN or DNS settings I believe.".......Router settings can be changed if you can Login to it.
Some ISP's lock their supplied Routers down so you can't change any settings and therefore screw things up.

3) According to info on the Web DAZN is limited to certain countries......... Gibraltar is not one listed.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Tue May 18, 2021 11:10 am

thanks for the feedback Enrique.
re DAZN i work in Gibraltar and just tried to open the app on my phone and it comes up with the £1.99 boxing service.
I think they launched this boxing only service in more than 200 countries / terrortries a few months back and it seems to be available here

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Tue May 18, 2021 3:53 pm

After having this incident reported for 6 days these people finally get back to me asking me to do a speed test .
Have tried to explain to them its not a question of speed but appearing to be outside of Spain .
so frustrating dealing with these people ...
i can see myself needing to change provider very disapointing

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 am

I am on the verge of giving up with these people. Totally unacceptable customer service.
in 1.5 weeks since I reported this issue the only meaningful communication I had with them was a short call on Monday 17th when they called asked a few questions and told me the matter needed further investigation.
I chase them daily and get no response.
surely they could send someone to the house / try a different router etc..
i dont suppose cancelling the service that they are not providing properly is going to be straightforward either but I am forced to move to Olivenet it seems

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu May 20, 2021 4:34 pm

snorbs wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 am I am on the verge of giving up with these people. Totally unacceptable customer service.
in 1.5 weeks since I reported this issue the only meaningful communication I had with them was a short call on Monday 17th when they called asked a few questions and told me the matter needed further investigation.
I chase them daily and get no response.
surely they could send someone to the house / try a different router etc..
i dont suppose cancelling the service that they are not providing properly is going to be straightforward either but I am forced to move to Olivenet it seems
You should be able to cancel, I take it yours doesn't have any outstanding permanency, even then if they haven't fulfilled their side of the contract you're within your rights, theoretically.
Before I bought this house 3 years ago I had movistar fibre, it was OK apart from the price crept up and up month on month. Came to this house and discovered that Avatel is the only provider here. Movistar continued to call me with all sorts of special offers, 3 months free, new phones etc. despite me telling them repeatedly that their service was not available. I use the Avatel's Spanish speaking customer service, not sure what the English speaking side is like.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu May 20, 2021 5:05 pm

I have tried Spanish , English, email and phone none of it seems to progress things
In my experience of living in Spain for 22 years now and wife is Spanish its not a language thing most of the time when you get bad service its a reflection on the company irrespective of the language you communicate with them.
Avatel just fob me off with "the superior technical department is investigating" but nothing happens
They haven't responded to my email of yesterday re cancelling either - I will give a few more days before chasing on that front

The only firms here offering Fibre are Holafibra(Avatel) or Olivenet, I feel that I am forced to move to Olivenet as we use the Spanish apps I cant get a lot
its a shame as these things are a hassle and Avatel has a TV offering which is ok and Olivenet dont

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Have you spoken to DAZN to explain the situation? Maybe they can do something, There might also be others are in the same boat.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri May 21, 2021 8:03 am

snorbs wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:05 pm I have tried Spanish , English, email and phone none of it seems to progress things
In my experience of living in Spain for 22 years now and wife is Spanish its not a language thing most of the time when you get bad service its a reflection on the company irrespective of the language you communicate with them.
Avatel just fob me off with "the superior technical department is investigating" but nothing happens
They haven't responded to my email of yesterday re cancelling either - I will give a few more days before chasing on that front

The only firms here offering Fibre are Holafibra(Avatel) or Olivenet, I feel that I am forced to move to Olivenet as we use the Spanish apps I cant get a lot
its a shame as these things are a hassle and Avatel has a TV offering which is ok and Olivenet dont

Yep, agree with you it isn't a good customer service response, I'm trying to recall the name of the guy that sorted out my issue a couple of years ago, he was really friendly and got on with it promptly. As I said before, I do wonder if they are running on a shoestring staff wise and not attending to issues such as yours, not good business practice and that will bite them in the a##e. Yes they are unique in having a reasonable TV service straight out of the router, but there are plenty of other alternatives as you know. Best of luck. :thumbup:

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu May 27, 2021 6:43 am

Tuesday evening I tested my devices like I have done each day since this problem started and all of a sudden everything seems to be working again.
Avatel cant explain why as I asked them if they mad some changes Tuesday and they told me no.
All very strange and frustrating , heres hoping it stays working....

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu May 27, 2021 9:34 am

Hi snorbs,
As it's now working get a hard copy of some settings......using tools I posted earlier in this Thread. So when you get problems in the future you'll see if things have changed.................. :idea:

whatsmyip, tracert

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu May 27, 2021 12:05 pm

good idea Enrique and thanks for your help in relation to this thread

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:56 am

This is just the nightmare that keeps on giving...
In the midst of the app issues a few weeks back I was no longer able to accept Samsung’s terms and conditions to allow use of smart hub.
When the apps started working again this issue remained despite several attempts to resolve.
I decided to buy a new tv (the old one had unpleasant bleeding issues at bottom of screen)
The new TV arrived yesterday and I have the same issue re Samsung terms and conditions. I now have the ISP saying it’s not down to them and Samsung telling me its most likely an ISP issue.
During the configuration I had to manually select Spain as my location as it automatically selected “other”
I find this all totally unbelievable and now face a battle with Samsung and ISP to resolve

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:17 am

Hi snorbs,

"The new TV arrived yesterday and I have the same issue re Samsung terms and conditions"...........I've lost your plot here, what has this to do with getting TV channels you would like.

Maybe take a step back and list what you want to possibly achieve ..... Post here and Mark and others will give you ideas on how to get this done.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:38 am

i cannot get any apps from the smart hub until you accept the terms and conditions

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:30 pm

ok I have managed to resolve this issue no thanks to Avatel.
I put my phone onto 4g and created a wifi hotspot and shared with the tv
this allowed me to accept the terms and conditions and download apps from samsung smart hub

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:31 am

I cannot believe this but I have the same issue again since Tuesday of this week whereby I cannot use any Spanish apps, DAZN, ATRESplayer etc. I raised a ticket with Avatel but no response to date - the customer service experience with them is awful. Surely I cant be the only person impacted? The only other provider in our area is Olivenet but I don’t really want to change as the Avatel TV package is pretty good. However I needed to be able to use DAZN, ATRESplayer etc

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:12 pm

Hi snobs,
Have you checked you still have Spanish IP?

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 pm

Yes
Last edited by snorbs on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:49 pm

H snorbs,

Clear cache and cookies from Samsung TV............

https://www.windowsdispatch.com/clear-a ... -smart-tv/

Please delete your previous Post........... the correct answer is Yes or No