Best VPN for Amazon Firestick

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
pensure1988
Resident

Best VPN for Amazon Firestick

Postby pensure1988 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:59 am

Good morning

Any advice will be appreciated. I am looking for reasonably priced & supported VPN to watch UK TV on my 3rd Generation Amazon Firestick

Also I see one has to Register with Netflix etc and pay a Monthly fee to watch any programs. Is there any free stuff on this Appliance which one can watch without paying.

Thank You

David

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Best VPN for Amazon Firestick

Postby firsttango » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:11 am

I suggest you look at using Smartdns proxy

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

Lots of Free stuff available on Firestick such as ITVhub, BBC IPlayer........Fire it up and just look at what is already Preloaded and take it from there.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:51 am

Hands up for smartdnsproxy. Been using and very satisfied with them for years.. Very cheap for what you get too.

You will need at least dns redirection to watch bbc, itv, et al. Easy to install tvplayer but also need dns.

Netflix and prime, of course you have to subscribe and pay. Although most of their programs are available via other means.

Recently discovered Pluto and Plex, both of which have a huge range of free channels. Also some free stuff on Apple TV.
Regards

Bob

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:59 pm

Just a reminder that smart dns type services don’t work well with 4G/3G internet as the IP address changes regularly.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Can you buy a Firestick in Spain and would it still be able to be used for the UK channels? I set up our Smart TV with a UK address and the catchup channels automatically loaded, but only the BBC app allows live streaming of TV. Currently we have the Intelsat 901 which is still going so far, but thinking about other possible easy solutions to get live UK TV but without needing yet more dishes or additional boxes.

Also recommend smartdnsproxy which I have set up in my router.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:09 pm Can you buy a Firestick in Spain and would it still be able to be used for the UK channels? I set up our Smart TV with a UK address and the catchup channels automatically loaded, but only the BBC app allows live streaming of TV. Currently we have the Intelsat 901 which is still going so far, but thinking about other possible easy solutions to get live UK TV but without needing yet more dishes or additional boxes.

Also recommend smartdnsproxy which I have set up in my router.
Bought my firestick in spain and works fine with uk tv. To be honest i can't recall which apps were pre-installed. But i have iplayer, itvhub, all4, etc on it along with tvplayer,(all live streaming), freeview(which doesn't seem to work), tvmucho(which i subscribe to) pluto, plex. Also Netflix and Prime. Works so well that I only use my Android box for Kodi now.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:24 pm

That's interesting as my friend says that he's pleased with TVMucho. It's not an app on my TV so I would need something additional. Sounds very good.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:32 pm

Been using tvmucho for 18 months or so. The service isn't what it was when i first signed up as it used to have full 7 day catchup. To be brutal their app isn't great and the channel lineup is limited. On the plus side you get the main uk channels with reliable streams. It is sufficient for my needs and the cost is very reasonable compared to other offerings.

If you want '000s of channels the tvmucho isn't for you.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:59 pm

No we don't want 1000s of channels, that would drive us mad! Coping with what we have for now but just thinking about the future possibilities.

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:18 pm

Can you get BBC iplayer and ITV hub when you have an amazon es account, I have tried and cant find anyway to do it even with a VPN ?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:46 pm

If i can't find the apps on Amazon app store, which i have to admit from the firestick is a mystery to me I install them on my tablet (or phone) from google then use the android app Apps2fire to install them on the firestick. This is a process referred to as sideloading. There are other methods but i find this the simplest. All you have to do is start the Apps2fire app, connect it to your firestick, select the apps you want to sideload, hit the go button. Job done.

Once loaded you will need dns redirection or vpn to watch the channels. I find redirection works better as many providors are clued up to the addresses of vpn servers and flat resuse to play. I also find that prime es won't play over a vpn even if you have a legitimate prime account. So setting up permanent vpn on your router may give you more cons than pros.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:50 am

I'm not sure why but I can only get Prime.es.

There is an app called sideloader which is useful to sideload apps onto the Firestick. It is also possible to download an alternative App store which has a wide range of Android apps. I use Aptoide
Google,,,,
Sideloader
Best Apps for Firestick
How to sideload Apps onto Firestick using Sideloader