Ee reintroduce roaming charge

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
ashtondav
Resident

Ee reintroduce roaming charge

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 am

From Jan next year ee reintroduce roaming charges. AIU it applies to new joiners after July 7th.

Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/roaming- ... on-roaming

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Ee reintroduce roaming charge

Postby pepe jose » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:03 pm

ashtondav wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 am From Jan next year ee reintroduce roaming charges. AIU it applies to new joiners after July 7th.

Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/roaming- ... on-roaming
I suppose the big boys will all follow. It was obviously going to happen, surprised it is as soon though.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:55 pm

It will make keeping a uk mobile number more expensive for things like internet banking. We keep one for admin for elderly family members.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:46 pm

olive i think youre only charged the £2 a day if you use it as a "phone". they dont charge you for surfing the net, whatsapping etc. SO yes, you would get a charge if your ebanking app sends you a text (not an email) with a code to verify your account or payment. I think you would still be able to make skype calls, facetie etc. And anyway it only affects those who take out a plan after 7 july.

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:54 pm

And anyone who renews an existing contract. There is a fair usage policy also.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Oh well, I’ll change operator but the problem in my uk Village is that ee is the only operator to get indoors coverage. Rely on WiFi I suppose. Certainly not paying £2 a day or £10 a month.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:41 am

It will make it more expensive to give the impression that people are living in two countries simultaneously.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:47 am

We have a simple phone with a Vodafone payg UK sim. Once you have made a call vaued £1+ the rest of that day is free, for calls/texts/data.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 am

knowal wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:41 am It will make it more expensive to give the impression that people are living in two countries simultaneously.
I guess as the uk is no longer in the E.U then for new arrivals in spain at least, that isnt legally possible hence the changes
Last edited by elusive on Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:22 am

Or being cynical, it is just a way for companies ( Telcos in this case) to recoup money lost during the pandemic. There must be an overhead involved in roaming otherwise it would be free anywhere in the world. No doubt it will be one day when China runs the world!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:28 am

olive wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:22 am There must be an overhead involved in roaming otherwise it would be free anywhere in the world. No doubt it will be one day when China runs the world!
But you will not be allowed to talk about anything so there will be no point in having a phone..

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:45 pm

olive wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:22 am Or being cynical, it is just a way for companies ( Telcos in this case) to recoup money lost during the pandemic. There must be an overhead involved in roaming otherwise it would be free anywhere in the world. No doubt it will be one day when China runs the world!
No, It's about taking back control. As soon as the companies were free of the EU regulations, it was only a matter of time before this was going to happen because of course, roaming is revenue loss for the companies.

How quick into 2022 are we going to read about customers having to pay massive bills after a couple of weeks holiday in Spain or anywhere else in the EU and then blame everybody apart from themselves because they didn't check their contract or set the phone to roaming off? It isn't even necessary to make calls if if the mobile is set to automatic updates to chalk up hefty bills.

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:55 pm

apparently Three (3) contracts are based on roaming so they may be getting a lot of new customers.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:14 pm

If they guarantee they will keep to it!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:23 pm

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:33 pm

I'm with Three on a relatively low cost contract. For roaming and normal usage no problems. But I chose them for their benefits which included free monthly coffee at Costa, free monthly small pizza from dominoes and more importantly for me free Hands Free with EasyJet . There were others so made the deal value for me. These benefits no longer exist but still a while before my contract ends. Reeled me in like a kipper!!