IPTV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jonbar.1
Resident

IPTV

Postby jonbar.1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:41 pm

Is there a genuinely "Legal " way of receiving UK & Sky TV channels?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: IPTV

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Yes, move to the UK and pay the licence fee and subscription fee.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:35 am

I don’t think it’s illegal. Has anyone been prosecuted for watching Sky in Spain? Normal terrestrial channels are available with a satellite dish .

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:57 am

You said IPTV which means a streaming service. Any pay-for service on a streaming channel is illegal and there have been many arrests in the UK and Spain.

Watching Sky via a dish with a subscription is legal, but if used outside the UK is a breach of contract and Sky will cancel your sub if they find out. In Andalucia, using a Sky dish and Sky receiver, it is almost impossible to receive the main UK PSB channels (BBC ITV etc) unless you have a dish over 3m.

It is possible to receive The BBC etc using a modified generic satellite receiver pointed at Intelsat907. Strictly this is also illegal as it normally requires a passcode, but this is readily available on the Internet. To my knowledge, no one has had any trouble doing this.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:22 pm

I've been using my current supplier for 7 years.
I get all the channels incl. Skye.They supply me via my MAG box, no need for dish etc.
The service is excellent.They are part of a pretty large organisation and I pay by D/D.
It all seems totally above-board; yet I'm told that Skye is illegal. A bit confusing!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Many of us use a DNS and then watch UK TV via the Smart TV or something like the Amazon Firestick. Of course this is not legal either as we have to hide our location through the DNS. If it were legal then we would all be able to watch catch-up without a DNS or VPN. I'm still not sure why they don't want us watching UK TV. I'm sure other nationalities watch their home TV without restrictions here in Spain.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:52 pm

jonbar.1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:22 pm I've been using my current supplier for 7 years.
I get all the channels incl. Skye.They supply me via my MAG box, no need for dish etc.
The service is excellent.They are part of a pretty large organisation and I pay by D/D.
It all seems totally above-board; yet I'm told that Skye is illegal. A bit confusing!
As I said, if you receive channels that you should be paying the broadcaster for, it is illegal. It did not used to be so in Spain, but the law changed a few years ago and it is now definitely against the law across Europe. At the moment they are tracking down the suppliers and arresting them and closing the stream.If they are a large organisation, they are more likely to get caught. The supplier then just finds another stream and starts up again, assuming he is not in prison. Eventually it will be wiped out and all you will get are free to air stations.

https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2019/ ... 77205.html
https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news ... -arrested/
https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news ... g-network/

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:37 pm I'm still not sure why they don't want us watching UK TV.
They cannot officially allow you to watch because of "rights issues". The broadcasters buy in a huge amount of their programming (just watch the end credits to see who provided it). The price they pay for this depends on the likely audience and they only pay to broadcast it in the UK. Its the same with Sky.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:14 pm

It's such a pity that the service I'm getting is much better than anything I ever had in UK!
I suppose we should just enjoy it while we can.
Don't know a thing about "Amazon Firesticks"( always thought they were things carried by the natives in the rain forests).
If anyone could explain ( in very simple terms!) how they work,I'd appreciate it...would it be an alternative to my current supplier,for example?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi jonbar.1,

Some light reading.......

https://www.dummies.com/consumer-electr ... -tv-stick/

Mark will be along to flesh out the proctical details/gotchas when back from holiday in Andalucia................ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks Enrique.
That's all the info I need.(As always with"Dummies-Guides, even I can understand it!).

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

WiFi & Internet

Postby LifeofBrian » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi All,

Anyone recommend a very good internet provider in the Velez Malaga area. Needs to be strong and consistent for work purposes. Appreciate your help.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:16 pm

What’s wrong with Movistar? We are in the campo and get 1 gb all the time.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Re: WiFi & Internet

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:02 pm

LifeofBrian wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pm Hi All,

Anyone recommend a very good internet provider in the Velez Malaga area. Needs to be strong and consistent for work purposes. Appreciate your help.
Been with Fobos for a few years now. Out in the campo so pigs will fly before we get fibre. Pretty solid 25mb more than adequate for hd tv.
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:07 am

The problem is that people might recommend an internet provider that works where they live but it doesn't mean it will work where you live.
LifeofBrian asked for one in the Velez Malaga area but on his profile, he says he lives in Vinuela.
What he needs to do is ask his immediate neighbours what they use.
I live in the campo about 1km, as the crow flies, from Cajiz.
I get a good signal with Vodafone but if I go into Cajiz itself I don't get any signal. Get an excellent signal from Orange but at home, Orange is not as good as Vodafone.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: WiFi & Internet

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 am

casita-bonita wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:02 pm
LifeofBrian wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pm Hi All,

Been with Fobos for a few years now. Out in the campo so pigs will fly before we get fibre. Pretty solid 25mb more than adequate for hd tv.
I too have Fobos and I pay for the lesser amount of 8mbps as I think we only need a steady 2.5 to stream on our TV. In fact, on good days I get 14mbps but there's been problems with the repeater station that serves our valley so we kept losing it a lot for a while. He thinks he's now fixed it (power surges that Endesa won't fix .... I can sympathise as I have problems with our electricity too) but every area will be different depending on local coverage for a Wimax set up.

OP doesn't say if there are landlines/fibre in the area or if he is in the campo as his location is Viñuela on his profile.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi gerryh and Wicksey,

Yes, I live in Vinuela area but assumed, wrongly is seems, that a provider from Velez Malaga would be able to cover a wide area. Telly in Spain as well as electricity and plumbing seems to be the luck of the draw. Anyone going back to the UK...just kidding!!! Thank you for your replies chaps.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:49 pm

It's because alot of the smaller Internet companies use a 'line of sight system. If there's a hill in the way, it won't work.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:53 pm

jonbar.1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:41 pm Is there a genuinely "Legal " way of receiving UK & Sky TV channels?
From Spain, no. There was talk of sky.es as an Internet subscription service - and last time I looked the website still worked.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:15 am

That was for their internet service, which ended a year or so ago, as take up was not very good...since most content was already sold to other broadcasters.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it