Satellite decoders

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Satellite decoders

Postby olive » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:50 pm

I currently have a couple of Sunbird Galaxy Innovations decoders. They work fine and give a great HD picture.

However they have started locking up from time to time ( left on all the time) . Plus the USB sticks ( two per box) regularly “ degrade” . Insufficient speed , still record?” The machines have never been updated. That is done by download to USB. Anyone else have the same machine and problems?

What do other folk use or recommend for say a 907 type usage or similar please?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Satellite decoders

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 am

I use a VU+ Zero box for accessing 907.
But beware that they need setting up and programming to access 907 which is not easy to DIY.
If you get one you need it set up already.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:22 am

We've got the GI box, Galaxy Innovation, presumably the same? Ours is still OK so far and we've had it many years. We don't use the USB facility and we always switch the box off when not using it.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:58 am

Can you connect to 907 with a GI box?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:11 am

That is our 907 box Gerry, it was provided when the Intelsat system was set up for us with the new dish. I don't know if it could be used for anything else.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:00 pm

I had a GI box and it was fine. Wicksey, you can get almost any satellite on it depending on the dish and location.

I now have the same box as Gerry. Its a much better quality box, but its more expensive. Mine runs a special version of the software which means I get a 3 day EPG which can be displayed as a grid and a couple of clicks on a program will set it up to record automatically. Obviously you need a hard disk for that but they are about €40 now.

There were horror stories about it not working when I907 reach the end of its life, but when it did, it was replaced and it still works perfectly and should do for another 12 years or so (the sat not the box!)

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Yes.

They are quite good boxes but things like deleting a recording are very menu heavy.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:41 pm

It take just 2 clicks to delete a recording, just as it takes 2 clicks to make one. My box is very easy to use - that cant be said for the generic boxes, that was one of the reasons I changed to the Vu + box.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:50 pm

We use catch-up on the Smart TV to watch anything we've missed, so I haven't felt the need to record anything. We still have our ancient Sky box and dish and we use that for its EPG and to watch the few Freeview channels left on it, including Sky news. All a bit Heath Robinson but it works Ok for us!