Getting UK telly

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jonbar.1
Resident

Getting UK telly

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 am

An elderly neighbour of mine tells me she gets hundreds of TV stations ; incl. all the UK channels,all the Sky / BT channels etc. She gets them via an Amazon "Firestick" and pays the princely sum of £50 per year !
She has even less tech awareness than I have, so could not tell me me how it works. She said .she got it from England,where a friend set-up the whole deal for her.
Listening to all the chat about IPTV, VPNs etc; it makes me wonder why we don't all use this simple solution :think:
Can anyone tell me how I could do this?
I have been using an IPTV supplier for 7 years,and have been very happy with the service.....but they won't beat £50 per year !
Cheers JB

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting UK telly

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 am

Is it something like MuchoTV? I guess there are others that you can put onto a firestick for a small subscription each year.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:37 am

Don't know Wicksey.She hasn't a clue what she's got.All she can tell me is that it's an Amazon Firestick.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:38 am

And I can do it for free using the Firestick. The problem is that the quality of many of these services are not great especially sport.

Catch up TV and Movies using non official apps are much improved these days though and although it is illegal, it is perfectly possible to watch a film which is still on at the Cinema in good quality. However, this will depend on it has been released as a digital version because quite often the version available is just a recording made with a camera in a cinema. TV programmes often appear quite quickly after they become available on its original platform. What I like about this is being able to watch box sets of programmes I enjoyed years ago and are difficult to find elsewhere.

Even though I can watch TV through these illegal services, I prefer to stick to to official apps because the quality is much better and in the case of Sport more reliable. I admit I can see the benefits of IPTV which mimics the Freeview services in the UK for some people who still like to zap. I had access to a service while renting in Andalucía in August but apart from sport, in this case the Olympics, I still used the iPad to catch up as I only tend to watch after 10 at night.

Googling best apps and IPTV for Firestick will throw up all the info needed including prices.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:42 am

Sorry Mark.Didn't really understand much of that.
Thanks anyway. ( "zap" ?? )
All I wanted to know was How do I get the Firestick package like my neighbour?
She says programmes quality is good and no problems

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:54 am

And I said google it and will find all the info needed. If you don't know someone to help you and you don't want to do it yourself, you will need to pay someone to set it up for you.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:59 am

Ask her who she got the firestick package off. Loads of companies,who do it

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:03 am

Thanks chaps.I realise now its not as simple as buying a Firestick and plugging it in.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am

Another very simple way of getting everything is with Sky directly. However, to this you need to know someone who subscribes to Sky but doesn't use Sky go (Its mobile online version).
You then need a PlayStation or Xbox and it's possible to watch on the big screen. This is the way I do it and all for the cost of some bottles of wine which I send to him yearly in appreciation.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:22 am

Cheers Mark.
Love the way you start by saying " Another simple way..." Simple to you naturally.Unfortunatley in me, you're dealing with someone with as much tech-savvy as the average wasp.
Credit to you for getting a deal for a few bottles of wine!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:24 pm

Wicksey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 am Is it something like MuchoTV? I guess there are others that you can put onto a firestick for a small subscription each year.
Won't be tvmucho as they provide only the standard terrestrial channels, and cost more than 50 quid. Having said that the channels they do provide stream very cleanly. Had them for a couple of years.

There are a bunch of suppliers advertising on facebook, 000s of channels for 50 quid. I suspect they are mostly resellers of one big iptv providor. Piece of cake to set up on a firestick.
Regards

Bob

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:09 pm

Tvmucho is now called pzaz. You can try it free for one hour per day, and we paid €48 for a year to get viewing on 2 platforms and some channels in HD. It works fine on one LG smart tv with a Firestick, the other we have to use an android box.
Compared to the ease and quality of Freeview along with BBCiplayer, ITV Hub, All4 in the uk I don’t think any system comes close in Spain, but hey-ho, the wine is so much cheaper!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:44 pm

I'm still happy with a combination of live TV via the Intelsat and catch-up on my smart TV with a DNS. If I ever get to move to the Canaries then it will be different and I will need an IPTV system so it's always interesting to see what is available. I think a Firestick will be my choice in addition to what I can get with the TV catch-up apps. Oh so complicated nowadays. To think we could have just used the Humax if they'd not narrowed the beam!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:54 pm

Must admit that since getting my firestick i barely use my android box. Well impressed, but it is pretty short on memory having only 8gb. Can't install many apps before you run out of memory.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:44 pm

Wicksey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:44 pm I'm still happy with a combination of live TV via the Intelsat and If I ever get to move to the Canaries then it will be different and I will need an IPTV system!
Intelsat is primarily beamed at Africa so you should have no problem in the Canaries.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Although you only get an hour a day free live viewing with TVMucho you can make recordings but you have to watch them within seven days. Recordings do not count towards the free hour.

Alternatively you can subscribe which allows you to keep the recordings for ever. Currently they have a half price offer of a subscription for just over £22 for a year allowing up to fifty hours of recordings. If you reach the limit you can recuperate space by deleting old recordings. This offer expires tomorrow (Friday).

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:16 pm

El Cid wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:44 pm
Wicksey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:44 pm I'm still happy with a combination of live TV via the Intelsat and If I ever get to move to the Canaries then it will be different and I will need an IPTV system!
Intelsat is primarily beamed at Africa so you should have no problem in the Canaries.

Sid
https://www.satandpcguy.com/intelsat-bb ... footprint/

I think the Canaries may be just out of range of the UK TV signal area unfortunately unless we have a dish the size of a house. I've not seen it advertised anywhere there and we've done a bit of research about living there. As long as we have a good internet signal, there are a fair number of other options these days.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:26 pm

OK. It’s probably the usual situation where different transponders point in different directions. To me the main advantage initially was the really good HD picture quality compared to IPTV but streaming has now improved a lot since a few years ago. BBC iPlayer is now streaming some programs in UHD as most people now have the bandwidth to receive it. A lot of Netflix and Amazon is also in UHD.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:09 pm Tvmucho is now called pzaz. You can try it free for one hour per day, and we paid €48 for a year to get viewing on 2 platforms and some channels in HD. It works fine on one LG smart tv with a Firestick, the other we have to use an android box.
Compared to the ease and quality of Freeview along with BBCiplayer, ITV Hub, All4 in the uk I don’t think any system comes close in Spain, but hey-ho, the wine is so much cheaper!

I looked yesterday at 'upgrading' the monthly to yearly, and it was 72 euro? Where did you get it for 48€ ?? It was only for one device too.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:50 pm

We have tvmucho (7.99/month), atres player (2.99/month) and Netflix (6€/month) .. as well as all the 'other' apps that get us movies and radio etc.

We hardly watch TV in the summer cos we are always outside .. hahaa
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.