Getting UK telly

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting UK telly

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:43 am

“Where did you get it for 48€?” Maybe because we have been with then for a couple of years?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:55 am

jonbar.1 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:03 am Thanks chaps.I realise now its not as simple as buying a Firestick and plugging it in.
Obviously, Living in Spain means many things are different here and getting UK TV is something we have to expect to be more difficult. It could be better because it was possible to receive Freest with a small dish some years ago but before the only way was to change the audio language on Spanish TV and going back 30 years, Spanish TV was the only option. Good for learning Spanish but I have always felt having British TV makes living here much easier for many people.

Getting back on topic, another way of getting UK TV onto the TV is with mirroring, which works really well these days compared to when I used it a few years back. My Samsung TV allows me to mirror what I have on my laptop onto the TV and the results are really good . As far as I know, If I had a Android tablet or phone, I would be able use that too.

Newer TVs are even better, the Samsung TV in the place I stayed in the summer also had Airplay which allows Apple tablets and iPhones to do the same. Worked really well especially when used with Freeview.

Basically, it is using your gadget similar to a LED remote.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:22 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:43 am “Where did you get it for 48€?” Maybe because we have been with then for a couple of years?

Ahh like a loyalty discount, that's fair enough.

If you have been with them for a couple of years they must be trustworthy then.

That's good enough for me, I'll go for the upgrade and save a few euros. Ta.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:27 pm

markwilding wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:55 amGood for learning Spanish but I have always felt having British TV makes living here much easier for many people.
Exactly mark, totally agree with that - it's good to learn Spanish, but sometimes it's nice to watch corrie or eastenders in English.. as it should be.

For many older people here it's almost a deal breaker - if they can't get uk tv they won't move here. I totally agree with that, inside their own houses, why not.

Between my Mrs and I we can speak / communicate in 8 languages. But at home we have Spanish/ UK/ Portuguese TV. Sometimes it's good to have 'a bit of home'.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Sky are about to announce a whole new system which uses the Internet rather than a dish. It will be very high quality with a lot of 4K UHD content. It’s a direct attack on Netflix and Amazon etc.

It’s already in use on Sky Germany. It will obviously be blocked to non subscribers but it will be interesting to see if someone finds a way round it.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:57 am

Wasn't this announced a few years ago? I thought about buying 2 or 3 boxes as an investment - they were advertised for €20.

Seems like it would be a fantastic idea for alot of people, especially if they bring the sport etc.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:22 pm
peteroldracer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:43 am “Where did you get it for 48€?” Maybe because we have been with then for a couple of years?

Ahh like a loyalty discount, that's fair enough.

If you have been with them for a couple of years they must be trustworthy then.

That's good enough for me, I'll go for the upgrade and save a few euros. Ta.
Also been with them for a couple of years. Streams play fine but the app isn't great. Also be aware that the channel selection is pretty small. They say, what is it now 68 channels. A big chunk of those are 24 hour news and other crap. If all you want are the main uk channels, sadly without the +1s then it is a pretty good deal.
Regards

Bob